A better way to design tables and forms? (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:10
No, nothing but a poor/lazy/inexperienced developer prevents best practice on the back end.

You can achieve the user input you want with a properly structured database. That might mean you run an APPEND query to populate tables with all known possible issues so the front end runs correctly,

Inserting records to pre-populate tables is frequently done but it is an unimaginative (poor/lazy/inexperienced?) developer's kludge.

See how it should be done in the sample database of post 3 on this thread.

But you never intentionally put cracks in your databases' foundations so you can build a form.

Definitely.

Leyton01

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:10
I am sorry this is cross posting but these original posts did ask separate questions and it was suggested I start a new thread when they diverged.

Here is the form explanation from the other thread:
-----

Problems 1-6 are generic problems for a form (eg not legible). Then the specifics for this form begins.

"7 The name of the principal is missing in the document"
This is on page 1 - the users need to check this and if it is missing they tick the box.

"8 The Statement of nominated doctor is incomplete e.g. the statement is not signed/dated"
This is on page 2 - the users flip the page and checks this (tick if missing).

"11 The Statement of Understanding in the document incomplete:
• is not signed by the principal or signed and dated by an
‘eligible signer’ or
• has not been signed and dated by an ‘eligible witness’"

This is a multi reason issue with page 3, either of which makes this page incorrect.

There are then some sub headings which only apply if a certain part of the form is completed. The users only have to check these if it meets the heading criteria. All issues are ordered by page count meaning the users work through the list in order as they flick through the document.

As you can see this acts as a checklist for what to actually check and as a quick data entry system. Using comboboxes and drop downs is inefficient for the users and absolutely not what they want. They want to be able to see what needs to be checked so they can work through it and single click the issue.

I have an issue here where I know exactly what the users want, exactly the form input they require but I am struggling to deliver this using the correct schema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom