Academic database multiple modules offered in multiple centre (1 Viewer)

R

Registrar

Hello everyone, I am a self taught Access 2000 person and have not done any programming. I have designed a student records system or my small institution but now we are entering a new partnership with other colleges which needs a database which gives all the standard requirements however the modules which are taught will be taught in more than one teaching centre, possibly at the same time: for example Learning Skills could be taught by different tutors in different centres on the same day of the week. No centre will teach the same module at the same time. Students will have the option of studying at more than one centre - so they might do Tuesday night at north centre and Saturday afternoon in south centre.

Currently I select the modules which will be available each semester and make these available in a drop down menu so that when I click on each student I can register them on the module they require.

How can I most easily do this in my new environment. Should I give each seperate teaching of the Learning Skills Module a Code which identifies it, i.e., North Learning Skills, East Learning Skills and so on. I could see this becoming very unwieldy giving a drop down menu of 200+ items.

Or is there another way?

JoeComputer

Pastafarian
Local time
Today, 17:57
I assume you have one table listing students, a different table for listing classes, and a third for listing what classes each student is in.

If each class could potentially be held at a different location, I'd have a fourth table listing locations, and add a new field to the third table that relates to it.

Then, in the screen where you say This student is taking This class, you can also say This student is taking This class at This location.

Are my assumptions right so far?

R

Registrar

Thank you Joe this was helpful.

Revisiting my question I see I should have added a bit more detail. Some of the modules have a common first part, but the students may opt to do one of three or four assignments each of which may be separate centres.

Do you think I should ask them to register for the common first section and then effectively set up another module code to cope with them doing their optional section of the module? All modules would be worth 20 credits.

For example. Someone doing Hebrew would automatically do the introduction to Hebrew which is always assessed by assignment but then they would have the option of doing a further work which could be assessed by exam, or by an assignment, or by an online assessment.

I was thinking about setting module codes up which would look like

Heb (C) Hebrew (C for common) 10 credits

Heb (E) Hebrew Exam 10 credits
Heb (A) Hebrew Assignment 10 credits
Heb (O) Hebrew Online Seminar 10 credits

Thanks in anticipation. This really is the only way I can get this sort of help. I am the only database person here.

JoeComputer

Pastafarian
Local time
Today, 17:57
Hmmm...

Ok, lemme see if I got a handle on this:

For each Student, you want to keep track of:
1) ...what Classes they're in,
2) ...what Module of the Class they're in,
3) ...where the Module is being taught.

A) Each Class has a separate list of Modules.
B) Each Module can be taught in a different location.
C) You want to specify the location of each Module when entering this for each student.

Am I right so far?

For this question to you, assume that:

"Classes" means:
"Hebrew", etc.

"Modules" means:
"(C) Hebrew (C for common)"
"(E) Hebrew Exam 10"
"(A) Hebrew Assignment"
"(O) Hebrew Online Seminar"

"Location(s)" means:
"North Center"
"South Center"

Just tryin' to break the task down into more manageable pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom