accdb Distribution. Sharepoint List, Data Services, HTML (1 Viewer)

WaiveIt

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:01
Hello All,
I have some questions on Sharepoint Lists, Data Services, and HTML Docs..

Backstory; not necessary, but helpful:
I developed a system for an insurance agency that is proving to be very effective, and there is some growing interest for it from many other agencies. I aim to release a BETA distribution built using Access so I can get it in front of people and start getting feedback as soon as possible.
I may eventually migrate to a LAMP stack, but if I can use Access until I can learn PHP that would be great.
I looked into an Access Web app using external users, but the limited formatting capacity of the web app designer deters me.
Sending a db and the RunTime to each office mean the client's network must be set up for the entire office to use the program. Getting involved in "out of my office" networks is not something I want to get involved with.

I need to send them the front end and use a remote data source. Does anybody have resources, recommendations, best practices, examples, etc for:
Sharepoint Lists
Who can gain access to Sharepoint lists?
Runtime users. External users.
Would I send an accdb and simply link it to their data source on my Sharepoint site?
Data Services
IDK anything about this.
HTML Doc
I know HTML and CSS, but not PHP. If Access can take care of the Logic Tier this would be sweet.

I know all of this info is online so links to helpful articles are as equally appreciated as actual descriptions.

Thanks In Advance:cool:

Last edited:

Geotch

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:01
Talk to Brad at clermontsoftware in Florida. He did something similar for me with SQL tables as the backend and I was able to email front end Access databases to the users.

WaiveIt

Registered User.
Local time
Talk to Brad at clermontsoftware in Florida. He did something similar for me with SQL tables as the backend and I was able to email front end Access databases to the users.

Can you describe the tech he used any better?

Geotch

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:01
Not sure exactly but I think it works this way:

Brad hosts the SQL server database on a website. The website has all the back end tables for the database. The front end program is Access and as long as you can connect to the web you can use the database. Multiple people can add/edit data. Brad could explain better.

WaiveIt

Registered User.
Local time
I did actually talk to Brad.
I was initially skeptical to call a biz fearing a sales spiel, but Brad's cool and described more than a few ways to accomplish my goal.

Honestly, he just reinforced that for my needs I need a real SQL db with a web front end. I'll just deploy my BETA with RunTime locally and hurry up and learn MySQL and PHP or SQLS and ASP.

My previous research had pretty much led me to that conclusion, but I wanted some more input from ppl not just hundreds of articles.

Thank You!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom