Access 2000 conversion to 2007 (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:28
Hi, I hope someone can point me in the right direction regarding my recent move over to Access 2007. What is the correct sequence in which you transfer a database created in Access 2000 over to Access 2007? This is the first time I have had difficulty in the process and I am receiving the following error message "Your Microsoft Office Access database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file 'dao 253.tlb' version 3.5" Any help or advice will be gratefully received, thanks, Mike

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 11:28
If it were me, I wouldn't try upgrading the current file. I would create a new, blank ACCDB file and IMPORT everything from the old file. You would have to add your startup options back again and all but it works much better from what I've seen.

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Bob
As an learner, you have me puzzled when you say create a new blank ACCDB file and then import everything from the old file. The database I have in Access 2000 has lots of fields, am I to understand that I need to create all the same fields in a new Access 2007 database and then go back to the Access 2000 database and then import that into the newly created database? Thanks for your speedy response by the way, I am impressed, regards, Mike

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Hi Bob
As an learner, you have me puzzled when you say create a new blank ACCDB file and then import everything from the old file. The database I have in Access 2000 has lots of fields, am I to understand that I need to create all the same fields in a new Access 2007 database and then go back to the Access 2000 database and then import that into the newly created database? Thanks for your speedy response by the way, I am impressed, regards, Mike

No, you don't have to recreate anything. Okay, to create a new, blank ACCDB file you just:

1. Open Access
2. Click on BLANK Database (see screenshot below)
3. Then name the file in the area that will come up on the right side of your screen.
4. Then Click on the EXTERNAL DATA tab.
5. Select ACCESS from the IMPORT tab.
6. A dialog will come up where you can go browse to your current database (the 2000 version file) and the option on that dialog will say IMPORT TABLES, QUERIES, FORMS, REPORTS...etc.
7. Once you've browsed to your file and click OK another dialog will come up with each object in Access on a tab for each type. You will start on the TABLES tab. Click the SELECT ALL button and then click on the QUERIES tab and select all, and then the FORMS tab, and so on.
8. Make sure to click the OPTIONS button on the right side of that dialog as well and check the boxes for RELATIONSHIPS, TOOL/MENU BARS (if you have any custom ones in your 2000 file), and IMPORT/EXPORT SPECS if you have any of those in your 2000 file.
9. When all have been selected, click OK and everything will import into your new file.

Hope that helps.

(SCREENSHOT OF WHERE TO CREATE BLANK DATABASE):

Attachments

• newblankaccdb.jpg
    newblankaccdb.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,998

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Bob, Again many thanks for your prompt response, I am going to sit down this evening and taking my time will follow your advice with the very simple and straight forward guidelines, and once complete I promise to report back, again thanks for the time you have given me, regards, Mike

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
Bob, All I can say is Bingo!! I now have a workable database with no error message, and it was really simplicity itself, I now intend to set to over the weekend and transfer all my Access 2000 databases over to my new format Access 2007, I am very grateful for your help and of course patience, and am really pleased to have joined the forum, I will no doubt have other questions in the future as I have some images that I would like to be able to link to records in my database, but have no idea as to how to proceed, thank you once again for your help, regards, Mike

bamia

Local time
No, you don't have to recreate anything. Okay, to create a new, blank ACCDB file you just:

1. Open Access
2. Click on BLANK Database (see screenshot below)
3. Then name the file in the area that will come up on the right side of your screen.
4. Then Click on the EXTERNAL DATA tab.
5. Select ACCESS from the IMPORT tab.
6. A dialog will come up where you can go browse to your current database (the 2000 version file) and the option on that dialog will say IMPORT TABLES, QUERIES, FORMS, REPORTS...etc.
7. Once you've browsed to your file and click OK another dialog will come up with each object in Access on a tab for each type. You will start on the TABLES tab. Click the SELECT ALL button and then click on the QUERIES tab and select all, and then the FORMS tab, and so on.
8. Make sure to click the OPTIONS button on the right side of that dialog as well and check the boxes for RELATIONSHIPS, TOOL/MENU BARS (if you have any custom ones in your 2000 file), and IMPORT/EXPORT SPECS if you have any of those in your 2000 file.
9. When all have been selected, click OK and everything will import into your new file.

Hope that helps.
Some people are born to be brilliant and you sir are one. Thanks a lot.

mdemarte

Computer Wizard
Local time
While this might be an old thread to some, to me it is new. Yes, we are FINALLY converting to a newer version of MS Office. :D

Bob Larson - I have already converted 3 databases from 2000 to 2007 using the Save As option and (knock on wood), everything seems fine, so far. You recommend creating a new blank 2007 database and importing Tables, Forms, etc. Could you please explain why you recommend that? :confused:

Have gotten a lot of great advice from this website over the years and am willing to go the extra yard, if necessary.

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
Yes it is an old thread! But I can happily say that the advice I was given, and followed over five years ago still stands good and I have had absolutely no problems with my 2007 database since converting from Access 2000 to 2007. Although not a regular forum visitor, it has always been a safety net for me, and I can honestly say when trawling through some of the threads looking for tips, it has never failed to impress me at what a talented group we have in our forum members, long may it continue, thanks.

mdemarte

Computer Wizard
Local time
MikeD - Glad to hear the advice worked for you! The question is - would it have also worked if you had simply converted it using Save As? Or, what might not have worked? Need to know before I process the next database if I should go back and redo the few that I have already done. :eek:

Also, almost all of my database are split into a front end and a back end. Not sure how that would work.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
From my experience attempting to go from an older version of Access (<2007 ) to a newer version (>=2007) in the few times I have done it. The save as for some reason does not always work cleanly (is that a word). Anyhow, I have had good success in creating a blank DB and importing everything.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Importing into a new blank version definitely seems to be more reliable in my experience. It also tends to catch any corrupt objects and removes a lot of unnecessary "fluff" that can get saved during the conversion process.

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
All I can add is that I followed Bob Larson's advice and it worked perfectly for me, and I have quite an enormous database containing almost 14,000 records, and numerous fields for each record. However if you are worried about whether to use Bob Larson's directions, why not make a duplicate of your Access 2000 database and try converting that to Access 2007 first, if it works all well and good, if not you have lost nothing and can then try the Save As option, again with a duplicate of the original database, regards, Mike

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 13:28
MikeD - Glad to hear the advice worked for you! The question is - would it have also worked if you had simply converted it using Save As? Or, what might not have worked? Need to know before I process the next database if I should go back and redo the few that I have already done. :eek:

Also, almost all of my database are split into a front end and a back end. Not sure how that would work.

The process of creating anew blank database and importing all the objects does a lot of internal clean up also.

This is very important for front ends.

For all my front ends, at least one a year I will go through the process of creating anew blank database and importing everything. For front ends that go through a lot of development, I will go through the process more often

In the new ACE (.accdb) format you have a lot of new UI features. II have seen any issues with trying to implement these new features for database that were updated from a .mde to a .accdb by using the "save As" feature. A common issue I see if with forms that use a Tab control. It will not always display correctly. To fix this I will save the form to text and reload it or recreate it..

You can use the "Save As"and it will not get any errors. Unfortunately it does not properly update all the form and report objects. You may never run into issues if you never use any of the new form and re0port design features to get a more modern look.

I have also found that the new .ACE (.accdb) format Front End (forms and Reports) get corrupt a lot more often. I rarely have the with the Access 2002/2003. Yu will need to learn the process of creating a new blank database and importing all the objects for your front end because you will probably have to do it at least a few times in the next year.. How often will depend on amount of development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom