Access 2002 make table query (1 Viewer)

HJAMES

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:39
I have just upgraded an Access 97 application to Access XP. I have a query that makes a table from selected record(s). When I attempt to execute the query I get a message:
"The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file c:\ContractMergeXP It is already open exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."

It works on Windows 95 but I keep getting this error on Windows XP.

Any ideas?

dcx693

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:39
Not sure what the root of the problem is, but can you check the following:

1 - are you running the query by double-clicking it in the database window, or is it being called from code?

2 - do you have security enabled on the database?

3 - how did you convert the database? By telling Access to convert it when you tried to open the Access 97 version, or did you create a new database and import the objects?

4 - don't know why this would matter, but have you tried recreating the link to the file on the C: drive?

Just some random ideas. Good luck.

HJAMES

Registered User.
Local time
dcx693, Here's the answers to your questions:

1. I tried both ways (double click and from code) I get the same messge.

2. I do not have security enabled.

3. I selected the upgrade option when I opened it with XP. I then ran the compiler on each module and made all corrections necessary.

4. I did recreate the links. I also tried moving to a different location, same problem.

Thanks for your attempt - if you can think of anything else please let me know.

dcx693

Registered User.
Local time
What is the purpose of the c:\ContractMergeXP file? Does it contain a table that you are querying?

HJAMES

Registered User.
Local time
This database holds several tables that are created by make table queries. These tables are later used in Word merge.

The main application is on the Network - shared by several users. The merge tables are created on each user's C: drive.

Win 95 (Access 97 and Word 97) had no problems with this setup. Win XP is a totally different case.

HJAMES

Registered User.
Local time
dcx693:
Thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem. One of your suggestions, did I redo the links got me to think. I had re-entered the path in the query properties "Destination DB". What I finally did, and now it works, is: Make my query a Select query and than remake it a Make Table query and reselect the path.

Thanks for all your help.

Helen

:)

dcx693

Registered User.
Local time
Glad I could help, if indirectly. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom