gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:29
I have a large database. Works fine in A2003, as MDE

An after update event (in the mde) generated a rte in A2007

Updated the mdb code to accdb, and it ran with no errors

Compiled to .accde, and it errored again at the same point.

-------------
anybody seen this behaviour before?

mde/accde not working properly in A2007.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i'm going to investigate in detail now - so I will be able to post it shortly.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
typical - can't replicate it off site.

need a rethink, I think.

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:29
I would blame compiled p-code mismatches, and would go through a full decompile/compile cycle on both target platforms.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
David

thanks - thats a good idea. I'll give that one a go!

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would blame compiled p-code mismatches, and would go through a full decompile/compile cycle on both target platforms.

David

that appears to have fixed it. Decompiled, recompiled. Smaller database, and also the problem has gone away.

Thanks muchly.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
and further to my above - decompiling/recompiling has fixed ANOTHER strange problem that has perplexed me for a while, which I won't go into into detail, but related to a spurious error that came up from time to time.

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:29
and further to my above - decompiling/recompiling has fixed ANOTHER strange problem that has perplexed me for a while, which I won't go into into detail, but related to a spurious error that came up from time to time.

I'm surprised that someone of your advanced level of accomplishment would not already be using decompile as a regular part of your coding arsenal. I find that turning off COMPILE ON DEMAND and decompiling regularly allow me to avoid all sorts of problems. I haven't had corrupted code in literally years.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:29
I'm surprised that someone of your advanced level of accomplishment would not already be using decompile as a regular part of your coding arsenal.

There is so much to Access and VBA and most of us have learnt what we know through wandering the path of experience. If someone has never encountered a particular problem, they haven't walked that part of the path and hence may not be aware of how to solve it.

Reading stories of other's journeys is the main reason I spend so much time here. One can spend hours chasing a problem but a little of the right knowledge beforehand can steer a path to completely avoid it.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
to be honest. i assumed that just compiling all modules did the same thing

I hadn't realised till I looked at what you were saying in more detail that decompile did something different.

but yes - most certainly decompile will get regular use!

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Sorry for my ignorance but does decompiling only relate to MDE's as I haven't ever needed to make one before and I've only every come across the compile option within the menu of the VB and from a quick search I can't see a decompile option.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sorry for my ignorance but does decompiling only relate to MDE's as I haven't ever needed to make one before and I've only every come across the compile option within the menu of the VB and from a quick search I can't see a decompile option.

no, not mde's. I had a mdb that worked, but the mde built from it did not. (accdb but the principle appears to be the same)

decompiling the mdb sort of starts again - and then the mde worked after building.

when I opened the dbs with the decompile option i got the "your code has been converted message" - so it definilely does something different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom