Access 2007 painfully slow (1 Viewer)

FISHiEE

Fish obsessive
Local time
Today, 00:41
Hi,

I have an access database that runs fine on our current systems (mix of office 2002, 2003 and windows xp/2002.

However we have one new machine here running windows vista and office 2007 and the database runs super super slow. just about every operation takes 10 times plus to run!

I have looked at the sticky subject at the top of this forum and it's not the problem linked to here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935366/ as this uis the only vista machine we have accessing the database. the same problem also occurs when running locally on my home machine (again vista and office 2007). From memory if is fine when running it through office 2003 on vista.

Anyone else have similar problems and find a solution?

Regards

John

freakazeud

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:41
re:

Hi,
do you have additional versions of Office installed on the Vista machines or just 2007? Do you have the Set Can Grow and Can Shrink properties of forms sections set to yes?
HTH
Good luck

FISHiEE

Fish obsessive
Local time
Hi,

Office 2003 will be going on shortly if I can't fix the problem as 207 is just soooooo slow that it's not worth bothering with.

I shall check the can grow and can shrink options, but unless they are turned on by default then they should be set to no.

It's not just when running the database in user mode but in developer mode also everything is sooooo slow. Just closing the database can take several seconds and exporting a report/form/query to the live database is also painfully slow.

Regards

John

FISHiEE

Fish obsessive
Local time
Aha, looks like the can grow option is set to yes on some forms. This doesn't look to be the default setting so I guess the guy who set the database up set it to yes on some forms for some reason.

Will see if this fixes all problems. Ceetainly there are performance gains on some screens.

FISHiEE

Fish obsessive
Local time
Hm... it does help on some screens but it is still noticeably slower than when run on office 2002/2003....

freakazeud

AWF VIP
Local time
re:

Hi,
can you try to compact and repair the application under Acc2007 (make a backup before you do so) as well as convert the file to an ACCDB file format and see if there will be any performance differences.
HTH
Good luck

FISHiEE

Fish obsessive
Local time
Hi yes I tried those options already but made no difference

freakazeud

AWF VIP
Local time
re:

Hi,
is your application compiled?
Have you tried to start it with the decompile command line switch? You can read more about this technique here.
What's the general structure of the application? Are you using linked tables? Are you using a lot of code? How many records are in tables...?
HTH
Good luck

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:41
Heres a wild card... Do you have wireless networking?
I have just purchased a new laptop (Vista Business), and with the wireless network turned on using access is like going to the dentist.
I guess it is just one of those Microsoft "features"

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom