A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX control (1 Viewer)

pdanes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
Update - the user bought Office 365 and tried installing it - same error. Now I'm completely confused.

It appears that something is well and truly effed in the machine as a whole, since three different version of Access throw the same error, in an app that works perfectly everywhere else. But I can't even begin to guess what that might be.

I can connect to the machine again and try building a small app, and see if I can make a it start misbehaving at some point, like when I put event code onto some controls. But even if I do that and pinpoint exactly where the mess starts misbehaving (adding an event call), what will that tell me, and what do I do about it? This is as confusing a situation as I have ever encountered in all my years of working with Access.

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:28
check all your forms/reports Controls (labels, textbox, etc).
if there are that have non-english name, change them.

tvanstiphout

Local time
Humor me, and as a test take the Ribbon and its table out of the equation.

pdanes

Registered User.
Local time
check all your forms/reports Controls (labels, textbox, etc).
if there are that have non-english name, change them.
They do not. I am very careful to avoid ALL such names, everywhere. Strictly US A-Za-z, numbers and underscores. No spaces, no special characters, no foreign characters. The only place I use non-English characters is comments, and label or field captions on forms and reports. And of course, I must allow them in the data.

pdanes

Registered User.
Local time
Ribbon table completely removed. No change. But in the process, I discovered something else odd - starting the app with Shift does NOT start it the way I would expect - side panel visible and start code not executed. It still insists on trying to start the start-up form. And of course, still fails with that same error message.

pdanes

Registered User.
Local time
I also just now removed the table that has some images for the ribbon, and the only table in the entire DB that has OLE fields. C & R after removal. No change.

pdanes

Registered User.
Local time
I just tried making a copy of one of the datasheet subforms, and starting it alone. If I clear out ALL the event calls, it opens normally, in all three modes: datasheet view, single-record view and continuous view. If I have ANY event code links, it throws the error, and after I click away the error, it opens, but never actually calls any of the event code. When I have event code tied to some of the fields, clicking on such a field throws the error, but never fires the code (breakpoint right on the entry point of the code).

MsAccessNL

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:28
I didn’t read your whole post. I had an error once, which I couldn’t solve. I found a way to trap the error.
Private Sub Form_Error(DataErr As Integer, Response As Integer) If DataErr = 2684 Then Response = acDataErrContinue
End Sub

MsAccessNL

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:28
I didn’t read your whole post. I had an error once, which I couldn’t solve. I found a way to trap the error. It had to do with an empty ole object.
Private Sub Form_Error(DataErr As Integer, Response As Integer) If DataErr = 2684 Then Response = acDataErrContinue
End Sub

pdanes

Registered User.
Local time
I didn’t read your whole post. I had an error once, which I couldn’t solve. I found a way to trap the error. It had to do with an empty ole object.
Thank you, I tried that. Same thing - it throws the error and never executes the code.

arnelgp

Local time
maybe upload your db?

arnelgp

Local time
what is the original extension? i replaced it with .accdb and .mdb and both did not open in Access?

arnelgp

Local time
there is error opening query ZaznamyProDS (the recordsource of your subform), try fixing it.

pdanes

Registered User.
Local time
there is error opening query ZaznamyProDS (the recordsource of your subform), try fixing it.
The error is when I open that subform, or any one of several similar forms. The query itself works fine, as do all the queries for all such forms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom