Access 2010 'Database Documenter' for MDE Database (1 Viewer)

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:34
Hi there,

Firstly, can I say that I am self taught so please excuse me if I use the incorrect terminology...

I have been given the task of 'managing' a database that was developed by someone else. I run Access 2010 and have just discovered that the front-end (the database is split) is in MDE format (meaning it is locked?), so I am unable to modify or view the designs of any forms or reports.

I am trying to get my head around the relationships in this database and so began printing from the 'Database Documenter' for the various tables I was reviewing.

I assume it may be becuase of the MDE locking function, but I am unable to run the 'Database Documenter' on any forms or reports, is this correct?

How else can I find out field names, control sources and e.g. which form or report uses which query or table within the database? I am not wanting to make design changes to either forms or reports, but just want to know how it all ticks...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Kate

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:34
You need to locate the source .mdb from which this .mde was created. You can't access design view for the forms/reports/modules in an .mde

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pat,

Thanks for your response. I actually did a bit of 'surfing' after posting and realised that as it was MDE I wouldn't be able to access the design view of any forms, reports or modules, which is why I wanted to use the 'Database Documenter' to at least print off the properties of fields used in forms/reports so I can work backwards in getting my head around the relationships.
Is there a way you can run the 'Database Documenter' to find this information out? I can't access the backend of the database as it is password protected and I don't have the password....
Like I said, I have been given the task of managing this database; however as it is in MDE format, my abilities to do so are limited... :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:34
You cannot manage the database without access to the FE source code and the BE password. What are you expected to do if you can't change the code or analyze the data?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Your task is like being given the job to maintain a car that has had the engine bay welded shut.

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Pat and Galoxiom, I agree with both of your comments, should something happen with the codes etc or issues with reports and/or forms, obviously my ability to assist is restricted (and I have told this to my supervisor).
I think basically they will just want me to have access to the tables and run queries if required to extract key performance indicators out of the system. We are moving towards a new program next year so thankfully 'my support' in this system will only be short-lived!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Seems like we can't do a Personal Message until you get more posts. The board probably requires 10 posts for this.

I have a suggestion I would rather not post on the board.

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Galaxiom for your response, I guess we will habe to wait for the pesonal message option to 'appear'. Thanks for your help so far, greatly appreciated.

I inherited this database and as previously said, trying to get my head around how it all works, there are a number of tables (around 50) and I am sure that many are not being used. I am trying to find out either a password to the back-end or if a collegue of mine may have access to the MDB version (even if they dont want me to access if they could either send me a copy to play with or print out the 'Database Documentation' for the forms and reports it would be a start).

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
All will be solved if you can get the mdb because you can read the BE password from there.

However there is a way to get the password from the mde provided they have not taken the precautions used by more advanced developers to hide it.

You could make a few more posts. ;)

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your response. I doubt I will be able to get the MDB version as it was developed by another hospital and I believe the reason it would have been converted to MDE was so they could control the database and keep it consistent (so there were not mutliple versions floating around, which I can understand).
I will keep posting in an effort to reach that magic number 10....

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Oh, I forgot to ask (using another post...:)) have you heard of the 'Access Dependency Checker'? I am not sure if it will give me the answers I need... I have been able to download it; however our network has blocked me from installing it as I dont have admin rights on my computer....
I did try to put in the link to the website but a message came up saying you can only insert links after 10 posts...

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Again, I forgot to mention that the 'Access Dependency Checker' is an 'Add In'...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you are replacing your system you will need to be able to get the data from the backend. Do they have any way to export it at all?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A2007 has a Dependency Tool built in.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The relationships diagram is usually enough for most situations but either way you have to get in..

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Yes we are planning to export it all (which I assume will be my job) so as it can be imported into the new commercial system that is being implemented, again why I want to know more about the relationships etc. Data will be exported into excel and we will have to go from there. As yet I haven't seen the new system we will be getting however it is state-wide (government) so I can only assume that we will provide the 'super administrator' with the excel/raw data and they will then import it for us.... Given it will be provided in excel, we wouldn't really need the backend would we when the tables are linked in the front end?

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Im using Access 2010, previously I was using 2000 (it was a bit jump), this should be number 10...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Really a system in a hospital should have its backend on a databses server not an Access file. Someone could take a copy of the file away. How sensitive is the data?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Maybe the PM only comes on after some routine is run at some regular, hopefully not too long interval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom