Access 2010 'Database Documenter' for MDE Database (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:32
Given it will be provided in excel, we wouldn't really need the backend would we when the tables are linked in the front end?

Table relationships are defined in the back end.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
The front end has all the tables. You can even view them in design view. But you can't change them.

You could make copies in the front end and therefore ignore the back end. But this may be dangerous advice.

There are also Password Crackers on the web which would find the Back end password if you really wanted it.

However if you don't have these things you can't get into trouble.

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you so much for your assistance yesterday/today. I tried to reply to your personal message but must have at least 15 posts to be able to reply....

Everything worked as per your suggestions, thank you again so much! I have used this website several times now for assistance and every time have found a solution!!!

Have a wonderful day!
:)

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
A quick outline of your solution would be of interest.

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
Hi there,
Basically I was unable to 'crack' the MDE front-end of the database; but was able to crack the password protected back-end. Once in the back end I could view the relationships of the tables to gain the understanding I was after.

In addtion to that I also downloaded the 'Access Dependency Checker' Add In, which enabled me to report on field names and the link between tables and queries. Am still trying to figure out the forms/reports side of things as it doesn't want to analyse these (I assume becuase the front end is the MDE format).

I still want to be able to view the control data source for the forms/reports, the only way I have been able to do this (which is quite primative) is to look at the 'Object Dependencies' for each form/report and do a screen dump of each, then paste into word and print from there.... If anyone else has a suggestion I would be happy to hear it...(Im using Acess 2010 - on a MDE database, I dont have access to the MDB in which it was created).

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
The relationships diagram is usually enough for most situations but either way you have to get in..

Thanks for your help and recent message (I am still not up to 15 posts so can't 'reply'...)

As a self taught Access user/administrator I was surprised at how easy it was to crack the password, once I knew how (thanks to your help). There is still so much that I am not as familiar/confident with (e.g. VBA codes), so it is encouraging that us simpletons can find assistance with those more experienced Access users!

Have a great day!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There is still so much that I am not as familiar/confident with (e.g. VBA codes), so it is encouraging that us simpletons can find assistance with those more experienced Access users!

It is really about motivation and persistence. Experience come from keeping at it.

One day all the little pieces of knowledge will meet up and the bigger picture will begin to make sense.

VBA itself is actually very simple logic involving conditional processing and loops. The time consuming part is becoming fluent in the object models that these simple commands process.

whitestuff32

Registered User.
Local time
You are exactly right, sticking at it keeps you familiar (and motivated).

I can see certain aspects start to form but sometimes get lost with the correct terminology, e.g. accidentally using a ',' instead of ';', most of the time I look for the code that does what I want (or similar) and paste it in, learning as I go... I often know what I want to achive but sometimes am not 100% sure on how to make it all happen :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom