Access 365 2302 16130.20218 bug with suforms using query as sourceobject (1 Viewer)

Mindflux

Local time
Yesterday, 23:51
I've got a form with a subform that has a stored query as a source object.
When I cursor over the data, I get what appears to be some of the query design elements:

Here is the "show" checkbox Crosstab pulldown: Total pulldown:
I thought maybe it was some form corruption so I tried making a new form with a subform referencing the same stored query and got the same result?
It also does this with stored queries that are NOT crosstabs (like the above example)

Here's a short video of the glitch in action:
https://www.screencast.com/t/dfLDfEE1B

I've tried setting the subform control to locked = yes/enabled = no to no avail.

Here's a link to a basic 1 table / 1 query /1 form mdb that reproduces the glitch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VktXsLHAoeqeDL67eTukhYYVjVjRpF3O/view?usp=sharing

Another note: using the runtime simulation flag from the command line, the subform now shows NO data but you can still click in / around to get the query designer elements.

Tested some rollbacks and here are my results:
Feb 28 - Version 2302 (Build 16130.20218) - affected
Feb 14 - Version 2301 (Build 16026.20200) - unaffected
Jan 26 - Version 2301 (Build 16026.20146) - unaffected
Jan 10 - Version 2212 (Build 15928.20216) - unaffected
Jan 4 - Version 2212 (Build 15928.20198) - unaffected

Mindflux

Local time
I've now received confirmation others outside of my org are affected.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:51
Thank you for your very clear and detailed explanation which had already been reported to Microsoft.
It is even more obvious when clicking on a field or header
The Access team can also replicate this bug and are investigating it.
There is another reported bug in the query designer window which affects font size if <>10 pt.
Hopefully both will be fixed very soon

Mindflux

Local time
Thank you for your very clear and detailed explanation which had already been reported to Microsoft.
It is even more obvious when clicking on a field or header
The Access team can also replicate this bug and are investigating it.
There is another reported bug in the query designer window which affects font size if <>10 pt.
Hopefully both will be fixed very soon

I couldn't find any reports on the issue on the Access community forums, here or reddit so I posted to all three.

Thanks for confirmation. Is the other bug mentioned that your font size goes whacky in the query designer?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
No problem though always worth posting links to the other forums.
MS replied to Karl Donaubauer's alert in the MVP email group

The other bug is indeed the wacky font size issue which was reported in a now deleted thread at MS Tech Community

I reported that to MS after reproducing the same issue
However, the OP has since deleted all her posts which makes the thread rather pointless.

EDIT: Removed link to deleted thread

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In case you aren't aware, the bug doesn't occur if you use a table or a saved form as your subform source object rather than a query.
So you do have a workaround if needed until it gets fixed

Mindflux

Local time
Unfortunately since this is a crosstab query using a table might not be possible (though a select * into might do the trick). I'll just roll back to Feb 14ths update until a fix happens.

By the way Shane Groff (whom I believe is on the MS Acesss Dev team at Microsoft) told me that if you set the subform control size to 0 height, and then on the form load event expand it back out that the "ghost" query designer should stay 0 height and no longer be an issue.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Nothing to stop you creating a saved subform of your crosstab query though ....

Just tested Shane's suggestion and can confirm it works.
Just completing a draft article on the two display bugs for publication at the Access Forever site later. Have added that as another workround

Couldn't find your post on Reddit. Could you please mention both sets of workrounds there if not already done

Mindflux

Local time
Nothing to stop you creating a saved subform of your crosstab query though ....

Just tested Shane's suggestion and can confirm it works.
Just completing a draft article on the two display bugs for publication at the Access Forever site later. Have added that as another workround

Couldn't find your post on Reddit. Could you please mention both sets of workrounds there if not already done

I've added both workarounds to the post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSAccess/comments/11l0ge5

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks. Do you have a link to Shane's comments or was that in a private conversation?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks. Not sure if I've ever looked at that mailing list before now ....

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The site certainly looks like that 😁
Is that a public group? Not sure whether I can provide a link to Shane's comments in that group without his permission
Along with most long-time Access developers, I'd fit in to that age group as well

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks. Just published the article on the two recent bugs:

Mindflux

Local time
Thanks for writing an article about it, Colin!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You're welcome. The same bugs are increasingly been mentioned in forum threads
As a result, the article has already been referenced in several forums

Once again, thanks for your very clear & detailed explanation. I wish all bug reports were of the same standard

Mindflux

Local time
Once again, thanks for your very clear & detailed explanation. I wish all bug reports were of the same standard

Hey, I try. Sometimes I don't convey the message right... but being that I deal with end users who give me reports like "this doesn't work" (no detail).... I couldn't do that to anyone else interested in reproducing this bug! haha

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
LOL
By contrast, did you happen to see the thread (since deleted by a moderator) where the font size' bug was reported.
That was a perfect example of how not to report a bug. Hostile from the start and rude to the two experienced developers who responded

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom