Access 365 won't close (1 Viewer)

craigachan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:25
I'm hoping someone has some knowledge of this issue. I have an FE and BE. Each workstation (the max using the front end is 3 persons) has the FE on their computer in \documents. My BE is on a server and has 2 databases that the FEs link to. ( I use alot of temptables when possible) one that we work with day to day(655mb), and one that we use for archiving (288mb). My application is still a work in progress after 17 years. We're always adding to it.

A few days ago I started to get a Runtime 3084 - 'Cannot open any more databases". After doing my online search, I went back to rewrite my vba and have started to replace all of my DLookups with a records set, and making sure I open, closed and set the recordset to nothing. I have so far redone my Public Functions and my opening form. There was quite a bit to correct. One thing to note, from the time my app was working well to when the error started up, I know I didn't add too much database function, maybe 1 open recordset, but not more. And one would think after correcting at least 30 or more DLookups, it would have improved and at least gotten back to normal. None of my corrections seemed to improve anything and I still got the error.

I then started to check the open and close of Access. I noticed that Access didn't close all the way. At first I thought it wouldn't close correctly because of the error. So I tried to simply open the application, and then, without clicking anything on my application, and also not getting to the point of the error, close it. What I found was that the visual part of the application would close most of the time, but the laccdb file would not clear. I could only clear the laccdb if I first went to task manager and manually end the MSAccess still running.

I next tried to open my application in design mode using the shift button. Compacted/Repaired, Compiled, and then closed the app. This did not help at all. I have check my ram and upped it all the way to 2909mb just to see what would happen. But no improvements were noted.

My application is a healthcare application, and currently I can open it to the opening form without problems. I can click up to 15 patient records before the error appears.

Additionally, I repaired the Office 365 Application.

I'm not sure what do to next. I would be happy to post my related code if needed. I don't fully understand everything that adds to the number of databases that can open. So any help on these functions will help me. Otherwise I'm not sure what else to do. I will appreciate any help and insight on this.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. You may have gotten the 2201 update. If so, you'll have to roll it back to fix the problem.

craigachan

Registered User.
Local time
Hi theDBguy. Thanks for your reply. I worked 2 days on this and in hind sight should have come to this forum first. I did have the 2201 update. So I rolled it back to the previous version and everything worked fine again. Of course I turned off auto updates for now.

Well at least I cleaned up my vba and I did learn quite a bit in the process. So all is not lost. Thanks for your help.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi theDBguy. Thanks for your reply. I worked 2 days on this and in hind sight should have come to this forum first. I did have the 2201 update. So I rolled it back to the previous version and everything worked fine again. Of course I turned off auto updates for now.

Well at least I cleaned up my vba and I did learn quite a bit in the process. So all is not lost. Thanks for your help.
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

ADIGA88

Local time
Today, 22:25
Hi, Craigachan

I has this problem (Access Not close properly) for two months now, and I living with it since by closing the access app from task manager. But just this morning I decided to troubleshoot the issue thinking the problem from my code. I wasted all morning on it to reach a conclusion that it's a bug in access (I am also 2201 version). if the db has only an unbounded form with one unbounded textbox control will cause this bug (you need to open the form in view mode and pls if somebody will test this on their device).

I figure out if using the Application.quit method will allow you to close your application properly, I am still testing it but it's worth the shot.

Last edited:

ADIGA88

Local time
Application.quit is not working for all senario

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:25

ADIGA88

Local time
I tried to revert to previous versions Version 2112 (Build 14729.20260), Version 2111 (Build 14701.20262), Version 2101 (Build 13628.20448). with no luck, then tried to add the DB folder as a trusted location with the same result.
what worth mention that the issue I have appeared a couple of months ago, so it's may have the same symptoms but different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom