Access 64bits database running on 32bits clients possible (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:42
Something that I have not noticed here in this discussion is that some of the more common non-Office .DLL files that work fine for 32-bit operation were not ported for 64-bit operation. Therefore, in certain rare circumstances, it may be impossible to run a 64-bit DB even with the PTRSafe declarations because some of the calls you need to leverage are hidden behind COM-style (application-object) methodology, where you CAN'T define the interface.

Don't know what you can do about it, but in your "evaluation" process, don't be terribly surprised if you trip over something like this.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:42
Fair enough but my point still applies.
Try opening an ACCDB with a modern chart in a version of Access prior to 2016. It will open but the chart won't be shown as stated on post #17

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Further to Doc's comments, two examples of Access libraries that weren't ported to 64-bit are Flexgrid and Treeview.
There are others.

Last edited:

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 01:42
Fair enough but my point still applies.
Try opening an ACCDB with a modern chart in a version of Access prior to 2016. It will open but the chart won't be shown as stated on post #17
I don't have an old version to test but here is the message:

1615676252046.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm not disagreeing with that message.
However, it will work in the way I described as an ACCDB file in older versions of Access.
Whereas, allowing bigint support, even if not used, will prevent the ACCDB file working in A2013 or earlier

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I found it interesting that a database using rich text fields worked without a problem in A2003, except that the control codes/HTML tags became visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom