Access 97 Linking to tables in Access 2000 (1 Viewer)

Amileaux

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:59
I run both Access 97 and Access 2000. When I try and link to a table in Access 2000 from my Access 97 database, it gives me an error message (doesn't recognize the format). I can't convert everything to either Access 97 or Access 2000 because that is a function of the users and what version of Access they have. Anyway - the question: Is there a way around this? Currently I export the table to Excel and then import it from Excel into my Access 97. Thanks! Marie

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:59
Why not create your db in Access 2000. Then split into a back end and front end. Then open your A2k front end and save it as a A97 front end. You then have all the data in one back end, and use the relvant front end by user.

When you update your fe, do it in the A2k version, and resave this as A97. This will keep your front ends in sync.

Amileaux

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:59
Thanks! I've never played around with splitting my database that way - I've read about it but have been a little scared of trying - so this will probably be what I need to dive in and really mess things up. Actually if this works, it will alleviate alot of my Access 2000 and Access 97 issues. Marie

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:59
Save your Back End in the oldest format. In this case Access 97.

Most front ends will talk to that back end.

If you have a problem then it is most likely something incorrect in the table design.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 17:59
@RainLover, this is a very old thread, the sarbox is a spammer.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:59
Paul

I just realised that and have reported this to the Mods.

Thanks for letting me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom