Solved Access Application Not Responding (1 Viewer)

vanzie

Local time
Today, 11:54
Hi everyone

Need some help on a frustrating matter.

I've started a new database file and whenever I start working on a form or open the VBA window, the application freezes and becomes non-responsive for up to 5 minutes. This can be anything from opening a form in design view or renaming a label on that form. I've searched the internet for solutions but non has been able to solve my problem. I disabled my anti-virus before I start the DB file and even made a repair installation but it still persists.

Reporting this issue to our IT department is not gonna be solved immediately as they are always out on technical issue calls.

Any idea what to do?

I have a Dell XPS 11 i7 with 16GB RAM and running Office 365 (as per IT policy)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:54
Where do your files reside? Local drive? Network folder?

I have similar issues but mine are due to Azure environment on Citrix server (thin client). Lots of factors to consider...

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
vanzie,
Are you the only user or are there multiple simultaneous users?
Is it a split database?FE on each PC, BE on a server.

vanzie

Local time
The DB file is local. It's stored in My Documents folder on the HDD. I'm still busy with the design so nobody is using it.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:54
Are you sure it is actually on your local machine - IT can spoof a location which looks like your c drive but is actually on the server - particularly for folders such as my docs

vanzie

Local time
Are you sure it is actually on your local machine - IT can spoof a location which looks like your c drive but is actually on the server - particularly for folders such as my docs
Yes because if I use the laptop outside the organization without being connected to the IT network, I won't be able to access any of the files

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hmmm?? That sounds like your files are on the network!!
If the files are local to your PC/laptop, then they should be available anywhere. They're on the laptop-self contained.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you disable the network, can you see/use the database (which supposedly is on the HDD in your laptop).
That would prove if it's on the HDD or not.

vanzie

Local time
I've disabled the wifi on the laptop and behold...the f..ng thing did not freeze. What I don't get is that it's just the normal documents folder that you will get on any standard PC or laptop, and that folder was not shared on One Drive at all.

But I did take note...The laptop has been spoofed by IT. Good call @CJ_London

Thank you for the eye opener gents

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:54
If you can, suggest create a new folder, ideally off the C drive as that is unlikely to be spoofed - but means you wont have backups created by IT. Another location you could look to use is a new folder off c:\users\username\appdata\local\newfoldername or c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\newfoldername. Note that the appdata folder is normally hidden so either unhide or navigate 'through' it

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since IT will no longer be backing up your work, YOU will need to be diligent in doing it yourself. 3-4 times per day is not too many backups when you are in development mode. Keep them for a few weeks before you delete them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom