Access - Devastation (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 09:00
And then just like Linux, we will end up with hundreds and thousands of different distributions and I couldn't even be sure you can solve my problem 'cause there's a small chance we are on the same distribution and you can open my file.

Can you count this list?

coypu

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:00
And then just like Linux, we will end up with hundreds and thousands of different distributions and I couldn't even be sure you can solve my problem 'cause there's a small chance we are on the same distribution and you can open my file.

Can you count this list?
The priority is to resume the stability and credibility that we and Access have enjoyed and deserved for many years.
The distribution that achieves that will be followed, and I have no issue with distributions that divert.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:00
The many distros of Linux makes the product more popular and versatile, I don't believe it weakens it. But it is a interesting argument.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 20:00

Can you count this list?
The many distros of Linux makes the product more popular and versatile, I don't believe it weakens it. But it is a interesting argument.
The number of Linux distros, creates a vibrancy, it does not affect how the vast majority of applications, such as LibreOffice work.

KitaYama

Local time
The number of Linux distros, creates a vibrancy, it does not affect how the vast majority of applications, such as LibreOffice work.
You missed the point.
Linux was just an example on how the variants may spread. Linux is an OS and an application may be written somehow to run on all distributions.
Access is an application and if there's any variant of an application, there's a good chance other distributions can not open or work on it.

Last edited:

KitaYama

Local time
@AccessBlaster Are we talking about popularity or about a standard? Access is much popular just now and needs no more popularity. I don't think I need to explain for an application how serious it is to have a standard. Just imagine what a mess would it be if variantA of Access has different rules for the structure of a table or a form than variantB.
And now go further and imagine the count of Access distros goes up to the list I gave you. If you don't call it a disaster, what do you call it at all?

If there's any distros of an app, they may have different ways of doing things and to me it's a disaster. though it may be popularity for you.

Last edited:

Ari

Registered User.
Local time
Forget all that because young people have already taken another direction. MS Access is being supported by a generation over the age of 50. The MS Access curve is following the curve of the elderly. So it doesn't matter here whether MS Access is good or bad.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Also, you misspelled "ignorance", but I do not want to be the grammar/spelling Nazi this early on a Monday.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Forget all that because young people have already taken another direction. MS Access is being supported by a generation over the age of 50. The MS Access curve is following the curve of the elderly. So it doesn't matter here whether MS Access is good or bad.
The best observation regarding MS Access so far, thank you!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A bit more complicated. Several other, not necessarily obvious reasons:
  • Microsoft has "abandoned" MS Access. Ironically, the Linux version of a DMS (base) has also been "abandoned". The word "abandoned" could be considered a bit too strong.
  • When I was working with MS Access, the MIS staff where I worked undermined attempts to use MS Access. An implication here, is that MS Access remains suitable were the user is the MIS department. Small business being one area were MS Access could still excel.
  • Technology has evolved. I have found Linux and MariaDB to be a "superior" approach to database management. I guess, being retired and over 50, I am really a trend setter (follower?) in moving-on as technology has evolved.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
6Sup.gif

Just kidding!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Forget all that because young people have already taken another direction.
That assumes they are programming for their own projects. Since when do programmers getting paid to produce a work for hire get to choose their platform? If you are developing the next best game, you are free to choose your platform. But if you are developing an application for an employer or even a client, they will dictate what you use. Most businesses will choose the software that gives them the best options for their money and as long as you don't need a web presence, Access is head and shoulders a faster (and therefore cheaper) development platform than anything else on the market. Hence, it is still alive and well after 30 years.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There's a difference between needing a web presence, which implies anonymous access (such as with a forum like this) and the need to support remote users in a controlled environment. The latter can easily be handled by Citrix or Remote Desktop.

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 01:00
My opinion is that Access doesn't appear to have any competition for a desktop development.

Whenever you are looking at the Ten Best Alternatives to Access, all of them include Libra or OpenOffice, which simply displays that these self-appointed advisors (advertisers?) do not know what they are talking about. You have to conclude that they have never developed anything useful for others to use in their life.

Access is often slated but it has been (for me) a reliable development language for business systems for nearly 30 years, frequently upgrading. I have used Access since Access97 and have always been able to create even the most complex screens and reports using easily developed queries. I don't believe that commerce or industry can be, or ever will be able to operate on a smartphone. But it does appear that there are some who do not understand business applications and are ambitious that the smartphone will eventually do everything. A bit like those who think that providing a CHAT feature on their website is an excellent way of providing remote help or assistance.

Microsoft clearly want only totally web based developments, which Access will never be. But it does have a place in the scheme of things. They should accept this and maintain the product professionally instead of treating it as lower-class or some sort of nuisance in the whole Microsoft scheme of things. It has served them well for over 30 years and can continue to do so.

Hopefully Microsoft will continue to develop Access and add new features. Also, stop treating it like a hospital job, or something to give an apprentice to do when they are a little short of work for them.

To reiterate; if you looked at the ten best alternatives to Access, by the time you've got to number ten, you realise there isn't a single alternative that you can switch to.....well I haven't found one anyway :)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
To reiterate; if you looked at the ten best alternatives to Access, by the time you've got to number ten, you realise there isn't a single alternative that you can switch to.....well I haven't found one anyway :)
Well, one can assemble an Access equivalent by installing a variety of applications. This requires, a database, browser, apache, php, html, CSS, javascript, etc. Takes a bit of work to integrate these applications, but the results are well worth it. One item of good news, this alternative approach to MS Access is $$$ free. If I can do it, anyone can. :)

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Well, one can assemble an Access equivalent by installing a variety of applications.
This requires, a database, browser, apache, php, html, CSS, javascript, etc. Takes a bit of work to integrate these applications, but the results are well worth it. One item of good news, this alternative approach to MS Access is $$$ free. If I can do it, anyone can. :)
:cautious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom