Access form to MS word? (1 Viewer)

remorhaz

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:42
Hello,
I am new to Access 2007 and I am trying to import some dynamic data into WORD 2007 using an Access form. I have a "submit" button on an Access form that (drum roll please) submits several fields to the database. I would like to have the submit button also:

Open a word document (I have found the code for this already)

Import the results from 5 yes/no variables and one text variable into a table inside the word document.

We are a school and this form is a teacher to "check out" a laptop. This laptop may or may not have certain things with it such as a bag, mouse, cables, etc. The WORD doc I would open is a contract which also lists the items they received when they got the laptop.

Any help appreciated and thanks!

remorhaz

Registered User.
Local time
Oh and I did try to post this in the VBA section but for whatever reason the forum would not allow it (kept throwing errors). If this is in the wrong section I apologize.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:42
If you are just trying to create a printout for the teachers to sign then I suggest that you create a report in Access with the values from the selected record and print it and/or export the report to a PDF file to save for historical records. No reason to involve using Word.

remorhaz

Registered User.
Local time
We have a static controlled desktop configuration which does not include applications for generating .pdf files. Changing the pre-defined desktop image or trying to get something installed outside of the existing image would be like moving the rock of Gibraltar. I have to use MS Word 2003/2007 for this. I am also dealing with staff that do not speak English as a first language so this needs to be VERY easy to use.

Right now I have a simple form in Access that the girls use and understand. They select the name of the teacher from a drop down list (which I generate - the teacher's name is already in the database), they select the laptop serial number from a drop down list (already in the database), then select checkboxes for the equipment the teacher receives.

The form has ONE LARGE BUTTON that triggers data verification before saving, creates the SQL, saves the data, then opens the contract in word for printing. All I need to do is get some code to send the right data into the word doc so that its completely idiot proof. We have some very hard working ladies here but if an opportunity for a mistake presents itself it will happen. Right now our lovely office staff takes the printout, gives it to me, and I enter what equipment the teacher receives manually. In practice the paper they sign is sometimes lost before it gets to me and I have to run down the instructor to find out what they got :D

thanks for any help on this :)

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:42
Office 2007 (SP2) and newer has the built-in output option to create PDF's.

dbDamo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:42
If you have to output to Word then can I suggest you look into using bookmarks - this was the easiest way for me.

remorhaz

Registered User.
Local time
Ghudson - even if I *do* output it to .pdf since we do not have Acrobat reader I can't ever display it.

dbDamo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:42
No problem. Its really simple too which is always a bonus!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom