Access Graphs are Crap (1 Viewer)

StephenD

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:58
Does anyone agree that the charting function in Access (97) reports is the pits?
I have a chart with number of days on the X axis and number of members on the Y axis. The default scale on the X axis is stupid-I went into the chart to change the scale but it doesn't see it as a number-it defaults to 'East' West' and 'North', therefore you can't change the scale!, does anyone know how I get around this?
Also is their a method to sizing your graph apart from trial and error?
Is the charting function better in Access 2000?

Thanks!

StephenD

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

The database is based on 1 million records which I'm importing from an Oracle database extract. I don't think excel could handle this-I suppose I could summarise the data in access in some way then export query results to excel? I was hoping to cut down on the data exchanges.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 07:58
You know, that you can do what you said, narrow down the results using Access and then you can create your charts in Excel but LINK the data. Then everytime you need your chart, when you open Excel the latest data will be there. I know that IS a data exchange, however it won't require user input.

Just a suggestion (that's what we did for several reports at a large software company I worked at in Redmond WA).

BL
hth

StephenD

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Bob,

How do I link the data? Is it complicated?
Could the graphs also be linked?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 07:58
Sorry for the late post. I haven't checked the posts in the past couple of days.

To link from Excel to a database, first, make sure you have set up an ODBC connection for Access.

Then, start Excel, select DATA / GET EXTERNAL DATA / NEW DATABASE QUERY

Then, select your ODBC driver in the menu that will come up. Or, you can select a new data source when you get to this point, it's just easier if you have a generic ODBC defined connection.

Click OK when you have made your selection. Then select your actual database from the dialog box that comes up. And click OK.

Then from the list, select your table or query that you want. Click the arrow keys to put the columns you want in. Then you're given a choice to filter the data. Click next when finished with the filter. Then select your sorting (if any). Click Next. Click Return data to Excel. You can also select Save Query.

Then after the data is in your sheet. You can make your charts just like you would usually do in Excel. Then, I can't remember for sure if it will automatically refresh when opening the worksheet, but you can set code to do so on it's On Open event.

BL
hth

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom