Access having trouble with Excel (1 Viewer)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:49
This program has been running perfectly for several years with no changes. Suddenly, an embedded macro crashes the program on two computers running the Runtime2013. The same computers were able to generate the Excel file properly last year.

The macro:
Code:
EMailDatabaseObject
Object type       query
Object Name     FlightExport
                to     =[forms]![mainmenu]![ProShopEmail]
(no CC or BCC)
Subject              NCGA Excel Player List
Message Text      Attached is an Excel file containing...
Edit Message       Yes

I imported all into a new db, compacted, etc. The darn thing works perfectly on my two computers (I have Office 365). Any ideas?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:49
Hi. Any new changes to the two computers recently such as Windows updates? Just curious...

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, DBguy--thanks for looking at this. I have no idea about the recent updates on the computers in question--they are at opposite ends of the state. The program uses a shared MySql db. Both have full access to the data and are able to print a report that includes all of the info in question. At least one of the users stays current on updates. I don't know the other person as well. As I mentioned, the only difference from my computer that I can find is that they are running under the runtime. I do keep the current dated version of the Access program on the organization's ftp site, and users are alerted when they open it that a new version is available and that they must download it. I can also tell which dated version they last opened, so I know the current clean compacted version is being run.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:49
Hi, DBguy--thanks for looking at this. I have no idea about the recent updates on the computers in question--they are at opposite ends of the state. The program uses a shared MySql db. Both have full access to the data and are able to print a report that includes all of the info in question. At least one of the users stays current on updates. I don't know the other person as well. As I mentioned, the only difference from my computer that I can find is that they are running under the runtime. I do keep the current dated version of the Access program on the organization's ftp site, and users are alerted when they open it that a new version is available and that they must download it. I can also tell which dated version they last opened, so I know the current clean compacted version is being run.

Hi. If you suspect the problem could be the runtime environment, then you could force your computer into simulating it by using the /runtime switch when you start Access or simply rename the file extension to ACCDR. Another option is to create a virtual machine.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
I tried running on my computer as .accdr and it still worked. I redid the db using Access 2010 and the user tried that and it still crashed although it worked for me. Got a little more info from the user -- she cannot send any email out of the db. Where I originally suspected Excel/runtime the SendObject itself seems to be the culprit. These users are using db program from my up-to-date Win 10 computer on the very same runtime 2013 they used last year (this db handles a once-per-year tournament). One of the users with the problem runs Outlook, but that isn't a recent change, either. If the problem hadn't suddenly occurred for two users at opposite ends of the state, I might wonder about a corrupted runtime. I am sure their copy of the db is pure, because I can see the version# when they log in and it is the same as on my computer, meaning they downloaded new version after I uploaded it. I really need this to work--it is one of the best features of the program. I also set one of my computers to use Outlook and the db was happy sending email through it. BTW, sending through CDO works just fine.

Last edited:

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Is there an easy way to just open a query in Excel -- the user can then forward it on to whomever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom