Access Image Import Issue (1 Viewer)

paulsat

Local time
Yesterday, 16:55
Hi to everyone,
I'm not sure if this question can be still asked.

We have a quite large Inventory database that has forms & report which displays a text field contains path information to a JPG image and an Image control to display the JPG.
The only unfortunate side the Database is created with Access XP.

During all these years we were upgrading MS office, and for Access we used to install XP version instead of the new one. It all worked well so far.
The problem occurs when we installed Office 365, Access XP is still working properly however when displaying Image in aform or report a Progress bar is displaying, flickering and the picture quality becomes too low.

I tried Suppress the "Loading Image" dialog by calling from Module, the flickering mostly went away but pictures are still low quality.
I tried to see if there should be any reference to add but couldn't find.

I think this has to be something in a set up or registry which I'm not at that level.

Hope there will be a quick fix, otherwise we have to accept this way,

Thanks in advance for any help or comment!!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:55
Is there some reason that you haven't converted the database? This version of Office is well out of maintenance.

paulsat

Local time
Since it was working well so far, we didn't wish to convert it,

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, maybe its time. Make sure you have a clean compile. Then convert it. The cleaner the old db was, the smoother the conversion will go. I usually fix bad stuff in the original and redo the conversion until it is clean. You may be pleasantly surprised.

paulsat

Local time
Clearly, we have to convert the database,
Thank you for the suggestion and tip!

paulsat

Local time
I was able to fix it.
Looks like JPEGIMG32.FLT was damaged, I replaced it with a new one.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Does that mean you didn't convert the database? Have you even tried? The bigger the version gap between the old and the new, the more likely you are to run into issues. Convert sooner rather than later for your own good.

paulsat

Local time
I'm not sure where from and how to start doing it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Make a backup. Then zip it.

Open the database in an old version of Access. Check to make sure that Option Explicit is specified for EVERY module. Compile the application. FIX all compile errors. You may have to add a lot of Dim statements. Once they are fixed, make another back up of the app. Then zip it.

Open the current version of Access and while holding down the shift key to prevent start up code from running open your app.
In the Save As, choose the option to save as .accdb. Cross your fingers.

Chances are excellent that it will just work. If it doesn't, the likely reason will be old ActiveX controls, especially the calendar control. You will need to delete all of these and use the built in calendar. Later, if you want to, you can add a custom calendar control. I would not do that now. You don't want to make the conversion any more complicated than it needs to be.

If the application uses add ins or other Access libraries, you will need to convert those also.

paulsat

Local time
Fortunately, there's no Axtive X or calendar in the database,
I'll try on a smaller database that we have by following your directions.
My concern are the macros, once I had some issue with them that's why I didn't continue converting, let's see how it goes this time,
I'll work on it during the weekend
Thank you for your help and advices!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I never use macros to do anything meaningful. Good luck. You have your hands full if you need to convert them. Access gives you a tool to do it but the generated code can be very bad and I've seen cases where it doesn't work.

paulsat

Local time
It took me some time but at the end I was able to convert the main database!!
I tried a simple one first, the conversion was fast and easy, but the main database with multiple macros gave me some errors,
To make it easy, I deleted the macros and used VBA instead. fortunately, they were not that many and complicated macros.
And also pictures looks ok, no errors on import.
Thank you so much Pat for your help and Advice, appreciate it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome to the new decade:) Getting rid of the macros was not a bad thing either. You're welcome:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom