Access is freezing when I try to convert and mdb file to an mde. (1 Viewer)

Remedial

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:30
Okay, I've been googling this issue for quite some time and apparently most instances of this occur when dealing with databases that contain vba code, none of which have I utilized in my database.

So, here's what's happening:

I go to Tools>Database Utilities>Make MDE File, create a new file name (I've already backed up my file) and hit save. Then, the screen goes blank. When I try to do anything in Access, I get the hourglass symbol by my cursor. I have to "force quit" the program.

But, the funny thing is that I get a dummy file entitled "db1" everytime.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there any way to alleviate this problem?

P.S. I've already tried Compacting and Repairing my database, which still lead to the same result.

KenHigg

Local time
Have you tried using another machine?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 23:30
Try going to the VBA window and go to DEBUG > COMPILE and compile the project. I'll bet that there are compile errors that are causing your problem. If it won't create an mde or compact then compile errors are 99% likely.

Remedial

Registered User.
Local time
Try going to the VBA window and go to DEBUG > COMPILE and compile the project. I'll bet that there are compile errors that are causing your problem. If it won't create an mde or compact then compile errors are 99% likely.

So, I go to Tools>Macro>Visual Basic Editor, go to the Debug drop down menu and then select compile, right?

I did that and didn't get any messages. Don't know if I should have. But now, when I go back to that menu, the page just opens to blank page with a grey background. Does that the compile worked?

Thanks for the suggestion.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 23:30
Yep, that compiled. So, the other thing to check is that you have full Read/Write/Delete rights on the folder where you have the database and are creating the mde file. The db1 that appears is how Access works. It creates that db1 file which is the new file and then it imports everything, deletes the old file, and renames it back to the original name. If there isn't sufficient rights to do its job then it can't complete the task(s).

KenHigg

Local time
Is it just one mdb that won't convert to mde or any you try?

Remedial

Registered User.
Local time
Yep, that compiled. So, the other thing to check is that you have full Read/Write/Delete rights on the folder where you have the database and are creating the mde file. The db1 that appears is how Access works. It creates that db1 file which is the new file and then it imports everything, deletes the old file, and renames it back to the original name. If there isn't sufficient rights to do its job then it can't complete the task(s).

Yeah, everything worked out fine. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom