Access Replication (1 Viewer)

accessfleet

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:59
A consultant will be calling me tomorrow about a downsized verson of the software I use to manage vehicle assets,parts and work orders.

They mentioned something called Access Replication as a means to disiminate field data and them update field changes at the end of the shift. The terrain prevents reliable cell based data transmission.

Access Replication sounds like something used in older Access versions?

My system is built around Access2007. I didn't see any thing like "replication" in the database tools tab or external data tab.

Can anyone coach me enough to respond to his question or suggestions?

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:59
Here is an article that may give you a little background.

To replicate, or not to replicate, that is the question!

I haven't used it myself.

My simplistic data distribution strategy was based on records having geographically unique IDs (based on building), a Deleted flag (to show if a record had been deleted) and a Datestamp field to show when the record was updated.

As data moved around I compared the ID and Datestamp on the records and updated to the data to the latest version of the record.

This worked for me as the data movement was mostly one way, Area -> Region -> National and only on an occasional basis.

accessfleet

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:59
Thanks for the follow-up. Article thoughtful, I still get the feeling that replication is a function of older versions of Access. Can it even be done to access2007 or newer versions?

I you save a 2007 file as an earlier version to accomodate replication what functionallity could or will be lost?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 17:59
Replication is still in 2007 (but no way to get to it except to use VBA or the buttons in the Customize Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). And the Replication Conflict Viewer is gone in 2007 so you'd need to create your own. And I believe that Replication is completely gone in Access 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom