Access Running Slowly (1 Viewer)

HeatherO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:24
Hello Everyone,

My company is running two separate databases, one for Rentals and one for Maintenance and Accounting. We've been successfully running these same databases for 3 years with little to no issues. Within the last 2-3 weeks, we've been experiencing significant slow downs. Sometimes it's a handful of users while sometimes it seems to be everybody in the office. On one occasion the issue seemed to be solved by replacing the ethernet cables of two of our users. However, the issues have been intermittent and returned today with all users experiencing serious lag time when retrieving data. The databases are split, with the back ends saved on our local area network and each user has their own front end saved to their desktop. The databases are compacted and repaired regularly, I have tried moving all tables for BOTH databases into new back ends and front ends. I have checked to make sure the databases open with record level locking - no locks. All forms, queries, and reports are set to no locks. I find it difficult to believe it would be a database issue when the issues seems to be across BOTH databases and began to happen at exactly the same time. Our IT guy has checked our network and isn't able to find any issues. We don't have our virus scan set up to scan our DB files, and it runs at night when no one is in the office. Any ideas what else we could look at to try to identify the problem?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:24
the fact it is happening to more than one db does imply a network issue. The other possibility is there has been a windows or access update which is causing the problem. Suggest review recent updates and see if there is anything there

With regards the databases do you have tables with a large number of records? If so are they properly indexed? It may be they have grown to a size where performance is affected

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:24
Tips on Improving Performance for your Client/Server db.
More importance is "Always Keep a Connction Open to the Back End Database...".
Use "DAO OpenDatabase Method".

HeatherO

Registered User.
Local time
the fact it is happening to more than one db does imply a network issue. The other possibility is there has been a windows or access update which is causing the problem. Suggest review recent updates and see if there is anything there

With regards the databases do you have tables with a large number of records? If so are they properly indexed? It may be they have grown to a size where performance is affected

I haven't looked into windows or access updates - I will do that today. In regards to the other link you provided, I did look at these things. The only thing that I haven't done is taken Lookup fields out of my tables.... Does this mean lookup fields or dlookup? I don't use dlookup. Thanks for your suggestions - I appreciate it!!

HeatherO

Registered User.
Local time
Tips on Improving Performance for your Client/Server db.
More importance is "Always Keep a Connction Open to the Back End Database...".
Use "DAO OpenDatabase Method".
I'm slightly confused on this? I have a query that runs upon opening the database and the users leave that query open as they refer to it off and on throughout the day. Would that be a "persistent connection" or am I thinking of this in the wrong way?

arnelgp

Local time
See the code? Its not about query or table, its about the Database (BE) being opened all the time.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
From your description, I would suspect a network issue, above anything else, unless something has happened to increase the number of records by a factor of 10 or more.

Network traffic or more importantly a network "storm" can and will cause massive problems. Something somewhere might have ended up with a duplicate IP address, causing massive bouncing traffic around your network. This makes Access (and some other apps) really struggle to cleanly get its data.

I have experienced this first hand, and it can be tricky to find the culprit. Check to see if any new network printers or other new devices might have been added recently. If so try turning them off and see if the problem goes away.

arnelgp

Local time
Dont turned it off unless you are certain that there is no print jobs on the printer. Else call IT support.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Dont turned it off unless you are certain that there is no print jobs on the printer. Else call IT support.
I wouldn't worry. On a Friday it will only be someones recipes for the weekend :eek:

HeatherO

Registered User.
Local time
I went around and did microsoft updates on se of the computers ok Friday and the performance seemed to be better on those computers. Will keep an eye this week and so how everything goes. Thanks for all of the advice!! We will be looking into your suggestions!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom