Access Runtime over Remote Desktop Connection (1 Viewer)

DonCardiff

Local time
Today, 18:32
I support an app that works in Situ {access FE; SQL BE} but over RDC it begins to open but does not complete - coming up with Cannot open DB it may be corrupt.

The FE is an ACCDB and behaves perfectly from within office.

Access is not on the office PC but works as Access runtime.

Using Any Desk the app behaves has any one encountered this before?

Thanks Don

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:32
Where is the FE located? Because that is the only DB thing that run-time Access really wants to see first, because for SQL Server it is using a different kind of connect string involving ODBC protocols. If your ODBC connect string includes a "DATABASE=" clause then be sure that name is correct. Remember that using remote desktop, you are talking to a session on another machine where the environment is not the same as for your local machine. That includes possibly different drive letters and other environmental entities.

DonCardiff

Local time
Hi The_Doc_Man thanks for your reply - Andy the IT guy has resolved this for us - he had a dig around and noticed a discrepancy on the Virtual D Session. Office 2016.

On the PC the user had started to use O365 (premium) but Access (App) was not showing as installed nor working (could not open local .mdb data - which she could on the Laptop) the .accdb file would open on the PC and run the FE/BE successfully {access runtime 2007 previously installed} - Andy noticed on the VD Instance that Office 2016 was installed {but not/no longer on the actual PC} - so using an RDP session we removed Office 2016 from the VDI - still no Access showing on the O365!!! Re-installed O365 said completed but still would not display the Access App as installed!

The .accdb would try to open but fail but using Open With - as if by MS magic - Offered Access App - which now works.

My guess(I have not replicated this) when user deployed O365 and downloaded desktop apps {Word, Excel etc} although it said completed - Access App had not successfully registered {probably due to Office2016} it had however removed Office 2016 from control panel.

The server offered VD Instance still had Office 2016 showing in Control Panel Programs so the Virtual Desktop and the PC desktop where indeed different environments. {as Any Desk ran from the actual PC it explains why that worked}

The user would not have known to uninstall Office 2016 nor had the credentials to do so. Every other App used worked except for Access; this scenario has been rolled out to at least 10 other PCs and this is the only one that had the issue.

Why doesn't the Server sync the environments of the target PC and the VD Instance?

DonCardiff

Local time
A second thought - does the VD Instance not replicate OBDC drivers installed on the PC? As this could also result in Date field issues if they do not sync.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:32
Unfortunately, that is a question I must defer to others. I'm glad I pointed you in a good direction but I have to admit that I am now limited as I have never tried to use Access in a virtual desktop environment. Others in my last employment (before I retired) had several virtual setups, but my main databases were internal LAN-based. All I can offer about Access & virtual desktops is second-hand smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom