Access size and dropbox (1 Viewer)

Jim B.

Local time
Today, 07:47
I have some ??? about Access.
When I first look4ed into Access in about 1992 or so I read something that limit was about a million records.
Is that still true? just curious.
Also
I am doing a database for a small one owner business, one associate. No network capability.
Can I keep it on Dropbox so we all have access to it as long as we do not use it at the same time?
I have read that trying to share on Dropbox or other cloud based storage will cause my database to become corrupted.
Best regards,
Jim B.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:47
Hi Jim. There is no limit on the number of records. Rather, there's a limit on file size, and that's 2GB. Regarding use of Dropbox and such, yes, they can cause corruption, so if you can avoid them, I suggest you do. Cheers!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:47
No network capability.
Assuming this means that they are at different locations, another option is to run it on a computer at one location and the others can use programs like TeamViewer to log on to that computer remotely.

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 08:47
No network capability.
Can I keep it on Dropbox so we all have access to it as long as we do not use it at the same time?
Sorry if I'm missing something (probably), but I'm a bit puzzled by this. If there is no network capability at this location, how you will all have access over the internet?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:47
We had a question about something like this several months ago, maybe over a year. The problem is protocols.

Networks connect via various types of protocols that have different abilities. Dropbox, if I recall the discussion, uses FTP and/or secure variants to load whole files up or down. However, Access requires use of SMB to be able to pull selections from within a file. Dropbox doesn't support this protocol and in fact MOST file sharing methods that aren't involved in domain membership have the same problem.

You cannot use Access dynamically in Dropbox. And in fact, since you have no way to know that a person took a copy and updated it, it would be possible for someone to download a copy, then someone else could download a copy. When both were finished, they would upload their updated copy. And in so doing, the one who uploaded second would overwrite the one who uploaded first, thus losing the first set of updates. Thus, your data would not be safe.

If you have no network capability at all, you have no way for this sharing setup to work at all. That would be true for Excel as well. No network, no sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom