Access & websites ? (1 Viewer)

sayre

Local time
Today, 11:57
I currently run a cricket equipment website for a customer, which is manually controlled from a stock point of view and ordering system (using mals-e.com)

I'm now looking to take the website to the next stage which would be to control it via a database. This would allow my customer to update his own stock levels and have some control over what appears on his offers page etc.

The website has been designed in frontpage and I now have hosting which supports asp asp.net access databases & mysql

So I have a couple of questions for anyone willing to help.

1/ Is access the best database to use ie what limitations are there to number of users using the database at one time ?
2/ If I use access is it better to have several smaller tables of one or two bigger tables, is there an optimium size for a table to be ?

Thanks in advance

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
Today, 07:57
if you're going to put any database behind a site, PLEASE don't use access. It's not meant for this sort of thing. Can it be done.. yes.. but it's generally a bad idea.

Use the MySQL database provided to you by the host or better if they have MSSQL 2000/2005.

sayre

Local time
Thanks for the quick answer Kodo
I kind of expected this answer, I have read that you can link up a mysql database with frontpage.
I assume mysql comes with some kind of user interface ?
Will I have the same dilema with table sizes ?
Cheers

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
I would *NOT* recommend using Frontpage as a frontend to MySQL. You can use PHP to build web forms with MySQL. MySQL does not come with a "GUI" by default, but you can download one from the website. You can also use MySQL with the latest version of OpenOffice.org. It also has a form design section which I presume uses HTML but I haven't tried it yet. I am not aware of any limits to database size when using MySQL.

www.mysql.com

Psilokan

Computer Programmer
Local time
Today, 06:57
I have created several websites that use Access as a backend, and have experience no problems. However those are webpages that only use a few tables like perhaps users to login, or a dynamic news page.

mySQL is definately a great choice. Its fast, reliable, and best of all - free. For a front end I started off using phpMyAdmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/) however it required a fair bit of PHP knowledge to set it up. Since I dont have the time to learn PHP it was a pain in the arse to set up for me.

Now I have migrated over to Aqua Data Studio. I really like it because it connects to mySQL as well as SQL Server databases. Since now I'm finding myself using SQL Server more often, however still using mySQL for some pages, it is a very handy little program because it allows me to manage all of my accounts.

Also, I would ditch Front Page as well... I wont waste your time writing a 50 page report on why I hate Front Page, but I will just sum it up at this - I hate Frontpage.

sayre

Local time
Thanks for the advice so far but ..

Would you guys rate a dreamweaver & mysql combination, or do you generally not like wysiwyg website design packages ?

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
sayre said:
or do you generally not like wysiwyg website design packages ?

That's the one. Its far better to create your own HTML, and use CSS yourself. Its not difficult to learn, and you will thank yourself later when you need to make changes to the site.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 07:57
IMHO - The best solution is to use a tool like Dreamweaver for the design stuff. Then build and insert the appropriate html/database/script stuff. The key is to know how, when and where to put the html code. Of course if your site is pure functional and you don't need slice images and all that stuff, skip the dreamweaver / wysiwyg stuff and do all html/code stuff... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom