Access won't let me save (1 Viewer)

AlanS

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:25
I'm working on a new database with Access 2003, using the 2002-2003 file format. While debugging a VBA code module in the VB editor, whenever I get a runtime error something strange happens - I correct the code and attempt to save my changes, and Access displays the message "Microsoft Office Access can't save design changes or save to a new database object because another user has the file open. To save your design changes or to save to a new object, you must have exclusive access to the file." It then persists in denying me the ability to save ANYTHING until I close the VB editor, close the Access application, and then start over again. In fact, there is no other user - all other machines on the network are turned off, and no other instances of Access or the VB editor are open.

Needless to say, this is a royal pain in the ass, and I'm totally stumped by it - I never remember running into this problem in years of working with Access 97. I'm running this on a P4 3.4 GHz box with 1 GB of RAM. Going into Tools, Options, Advanced and switching the "Default open mode" between Shared and Exclusive makes no difference.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:25
I've encountered this error when I'm the only one in the mdb. I just close and reopen the database. Of course, when multiple users are in the database you can't close and will get unexpected results.

When developing, set the Open Exclusive on the Options menu. I think that it's on the 2nd tab.

I think that what's happening is an "undisclosed feature" of several versions of Access.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:25
Besides, you really shouldn't be developing on a live database. That would be a bad idea- what if you did something that did something you weren't expecting and borked the whole database? However unlikely it may be, it's not a good idea.

Keep your nightly build (and I'm including both FE/BE here) wholly and utterly separate from the live build.

AlanS

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:25
Thanks, llkhoutx and Banana, but the Open mode setting makes no difference - the same thing happens regardless of whether it's set to Exclusive or Shared. And this has nothing to do with live and backup copies of the database (backups are made and preserved at appropriate intervals) - the problem is that it's slowing me down tremendously to have to close the VB editor, close Access, and open everything back up again every time I hit (and correct) a runtime error. I need to determine if this is an undocumented feature that I have to live with, or if a service pack may correct it, or if (as I hope) there may be some other setting that corrects the problem.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:25
You should not be doing any editing while the debugger is running. Simply note where the error is located and close the editor which will stop the debugger. Then open the editor to your located problem and make the changes and save and compile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom