Access World Forums - Stats Update (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:09
The steady increase in hits for Access World Forums has continued, and the steady decline in hits for Utter Access forum has also continued. See details HERE:-

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:09
Yeah, well I may have caused a one-week dip because of giving a time-out to one of our more prolific but annoying persons.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Uncle Gizmo I noticed you used <50K instead of the actual figure for UA. Any reason for that?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I just checked and indeed it only shows <50K if you look at UA without the comparison. However, if you look at the comparison link, you get the full details:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I now understand why you were so apprehensive about making significant changes to AWF...

The damage done to UA by a botched upgrade is probably irreversible.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Indeed, with any change there is risk. Its not all roses! I deliberated long and hard over the issue. I tend to be risk adverse, by nature.

UA has suffered after their upgrade. It depends on what is causing the issue regarding its demise. One side of me wants to chip in with solutions, but the other side of me says keep quiet, for the benefit of AWF. I will say its possible that there is a reversal of fortune over there at UA, but that depends on correct diagnosis and the right solution.

As I have mentioned before, both forums are fighting the almighty Google and our fates ultimately lay in their hands.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 19:09
One side of me wants to chip in with solutions, but the other side of me says keep quiet, for the benefit of AWF.
Since you asked me my opinion :rolleyes:...

I would say offer your services - IF - the Admin there would be willing to accept help. It could be the beginning of a beneficial symbiotic relationship.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am not sure how I would benefit. And my ideas would be unpalatable too, I believe.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 19:09
I am not sure how I would benefit. And my ideas would be unpalatable too, I believe.
Probably nothing tangible at first except the good will feeling that comes from rendering assistance. You are probably right about the unpalatable bit too. Just thought I could chime in with unsolicited advice!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hah! That's fine. Years ago, when I was doing local computer consultancy, a guy got in touch and wanted to meet up and talk about how to get clients etc. I was very open. Well, my enquiries went down because he followed my advice, got more clients but was directly competing with me!

I have a tendency to want to help others, but bitter experience says there are times when I have to stay quiet.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:09
I tend to be risk adverse, by nature.
I would argue that you take many risks especially with your forum layout. The hybrid mixing of "talk and tech" is very different then other layouts.

The technical members really support the newbies, and members are not hostile to simple questions.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Do you mean because I have The Watercooler near the top? Or because of the Politics section?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I look at what some other forums did to get some ideas. There is also another argument, which is differentiate yourself from the competition. Nearly all forums have a watercooler equivalent. The positioning is partly about convenience. Many people like The Watercooler. My stats suggest it is one of the most popular parts of the site. Could it be risky to make it less convenient to get to a favourite area? Just another angle to look at it.

The Politics section is quite popular too.

Edit: For your interest, The Watercooler is the most popular part of the site.

1602780250555.png

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've never looked at that link before. I see it lists everything you have been involved in. What benefit do you get from that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom