add a new record or amend an existing one (1 Viewer)

LeonT

Local time
Today, 06:32
Hi all

I created an excel spreadsheet to be used in the office but, with the number of records that it currently holds plus the fact that multiple users need to use it simultaneously, its pretty close to grinding to a halt.

I've therefore decided to create a very simple Access (2003) database to replace the existing spreadsheet. The database is intended to hold records of individuals. Each individual has a unique referrence number that is created independently from this database.

I've currently got a form but what I need is an 'add/amend a case' button which, when a reference number is entered will say something along the lines of 'case A111111 already exists - click ok to go to this record' - allowing the user to amend/update field/s. In instances where the record doesnt already exsist, the user would be taken to a blank form.

As you can probably tell from the language that i've used, aside from a bit of tinkering, I am a complete novice :eek:

Many thanks

Leon

Steve C

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:32
Consider a combo box. Users choose from a list of existing records or may create a new one

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:32
use a bound form.
on the form's load event set its recordsource to blank record:

me.recordsource="select field1, field2, ... from table where (1=0);"

you would add a code on the reference number control's after update event:

me.recordsource="select field1, field2, ... from table where [refField] = '" & me.refControlOnTheForm & "'"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom