Adding a new record to a table through a form (1 Viewer)

vexing

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:09
I am trying to build a form that allows clients to enter new customer info to a customer table.

The form is based on a query that pulls info from 2 tables. One table id "Customers" and one table is "Key Box Information"

I have built a query, "Customers_Keybox Info" that pulls info from both tables. I have a one-to-many relationship between the 2 tables, so the query runs fine and allows updates/additions, no problem.
Here's what my form does so far:
My client enters what they think is a new Customer name in the Customer name field of the form. On the "on lost focus" event of customer name, I have set the following code to run:

Private Sub Customer__Name_LostFocus()
Dim vTruncate
Dim TestIt As Variant

vTruncate = 4
Forms![Add New Customer and Key Information]![Customer ID] = Left(Customer__Name, vTruncate)

End Sub

This code causes a 4-digit Customer ID to automatically be entered into the customer ID field of the form (and the table)

This code runs without a hitch, and puts the Customer ID in the Customer ID field.

The problem with my form arises when the customer ID is already in the Customers table. Say I already have a customer, Microsoft, and a client wants to add a new customer, Microtech. When they enter the new customer the same Customer ID, micr, is generated, resulting in a generic, duplicates error message, and Access says it cannot update the record, etc. What I need help with is generating some code that sees the duplicate problem AFTER the customer ID field has been updated and tells the client BEFORE giving a generic, duplicate error message, that the customer is possibly already in the table. Then Access should show the customer what it thinks is a duplicate entry (entries) and give the customer the chance to tell it if this is a duplicate (another MicroSOFT entry) or an actual new customer (a MicroTECH entry). If the customer decides to add the customer, Access should add a number to the existing 4-letter Customer ID field. Thus, making MicroTech have a customer ID of "micr1". Later, if a client decides to add a customer "Microinnovations" then Access should pop up "Microsoft" and "microtech" as possible duplicates, etc. See what I mean? And, if the client IS trying to add a duplicate customer, they should be able to choose not to add the customer after all and cancel the whole thing. This sounds like it could be a workable form to me. Can anyone help me with the code? Anyone have any other possible solutions?

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
I would suggest that you abandon your code to create your CustomerID and use the Autonumber Data Type for this. Search help for Autonumber for more details on how to use Autonumber...

vexing

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not having any problems with the code that creates the ID. I know all about Autonumber. I do, in fact, use Autonumber as the primary key for the Customers table. The Customer ID is not the primary key for that table. Anyway, that's not the issue, thanx though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom