Adding image to post (1 Viewer)

balpers

Local time
Today, 16:59
I'm new to this site. I'd like to ask a question in one of the forums, but to ask it in an intelligible way I need to embed an image to show the DB structure.

When I tried to follow the instructions in the FAQ, I found that the software would only let me upload from a URL. I could not find a way to upload a jpg directly from my computer.

Can you help?

Thank you,

Burt

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I'm new to this site. I'd like to ask a question in one of the forums, but to ask it in an intelligible way I need to embed an image to show the DB structure.

When I tried to follow the instructions in the FAQ, I found that the software would only let me upload from a URL. I could not find a way to upload a jpg directly from my computer.

Can you help?

Thank you,

Burt

Burt:

You can upload a pic directly here by going to the manage attachments and then uploading the pic directly. If you want it to show inline then you would need to upload it as the pic (not zipped) and it has to be at, or under, 100Kb and then you click on Manage Attachments button and then upload it. Then you can set it inline by capturing the URL for the download and setting that as your URL for the pic. I will attempt to post a series of pics depicting that.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
See how in these screenshots:

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29947&stc=1&d=1260479535[/IMG]

Attachments

• ul01.png
    ul01.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 2,404
  • ul02.png
    ul02.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,298
  • ul03.png
    ul03.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,468
  • ul04.png
    ul04.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 2,396
  • ul05.png
    ul05.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 189

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
And the last (max of 5 pics per post):

Attachments

• ul06.png
    ul06.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,420

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Alternatively you can get a free account at a picture host like photobucket.com, upload pictures there and then post the picture with the Insert Picture button on the editor. Most of the picture hosts have a combo box or other feature to copy the link for the picture to paste directly into forums.

balpers

Local time
Burt:

You can upload a pic directly here by going to the manage attachments and then uploading the pic directly. If you want it to show inline then you would need to upload it as the pic (not zipped) and it has to be at, or under, 100Kb and then you click on Manage Attachments button and then upload it. Then you can set it inline by capturing the URL for the download and setting that as your URL for the pic. I will attempt to post a series of pics depicting that.

Bob,

Thank you. I just tested it and it works like a charm. Now all I have to do is to try to get my head together to ask a sensible question.

I appreciate the quick response.

Burt

balpers

Local time
Alternatively you can get a free account at a picture host like photobucket.com, upload pictures there and then post the picture with the Insert Picture button on the editor. Most of the picture hosts have a combo box or other feature to copy the link for the picture to paste directly into forums.

I'll explore this. I didn't know the site existed.

Thanks,

Burt

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time

The only problem with those is that for a lot of us those sites are blocked at our workplaces. So we can't see them. The beauty of doing it the way I showed is that you can actually ensure that if you can see this website, you can see the pics (even if you have to download them manually). But it is a bit limiting in the size and number. I usually upload to my own site but then again it is risking that nobody is blocking my site.

balpers

Local time
The only problem with those is that for a lot of us those sites are blocked at our workplaces. So we can't see them. The beauty of doing it the way I showed is that you can actually ensure that if you can see this website, you can see the pics (even if you have to download them manually). But it is a bit limiting in the size and number. I usually upload to my own site but then again it is risking that nobody is blocking my site.

You just saved me a lot of time. My IT department blocks everything and tries its best to impede all work. I just had to find a sneaky workaround to be able to deal with image files.

Best,

Burt

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Tomorrow, 10:59

not to mention 3rd-party data storage hosts purge at regular intervals, so older posts end up having a dead link (which is REALLY annoying).

another drawback is having to go to another website, which most throw pop-ups and advertising and (possibly) viruses at you.

and, annoyingly, most 3rd-party data storage sites force people trying to look at the image to either pay for a membership or wait some pre-determined number of seconds before the image can then be downloaded as a slower bandwidth than "premium" downloads... i don't know about photobucket, but i'm just saying 3rd-party in general (all the off-site image hosts i've encountered on AWF have been like that, according to memory)

not to mention that in order TO upload to a 3rd party site, the user would need to create an account, remember more passwords, etc, etc...

bleh!

it's a lot cleaner, neater, easier and more direct to keep images with the post.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yes Bob, the ideal would be to have the file witin the same host as the forum, that would prevent the separation of the item or lost links.
The site I used for example is one that I have used in the past and currently use. It might be blocked by over zealous IT policies to prevent people from with non-work related activities during work hours.
Nothing is forever but they do not house clean active accounts, they are funded by advert revenue so they also track account visits and not just the account holder as activity. At the moment photobucket does not have a delay on file viewing and is quite simple to use. All of this can change without notice as the cost of human intervention in internet management is outpacing the drop in prices of hardware costs (including bandwidth and memory).
If you select a different password for each function that requests one then you would need to juggle many different passwords or logon names. I keep it simple to three of each - a screen name for professional and one for casual use, a password for professional and one for casual use, the third is for personal and actual items of personal security.

not to mention 3rd-party data storage hosts purge at regular intervals, so older posts end up having a dead link (which is REALLY annoying).

another drawback is having to go to another website, which most throw pop-ups and advertising and (possibly) viruses at you.

and, annoyingly, most 3rd-party data storage sites force people trying to look at the image to either pay for a membership or wait some pre-determined number of seconds before the image can then be downloaded as a slower bandwidth than "premium" downloads... i don't know about photobucket, but i'm just saying 3rd-party in general (all the off-site image hosts i've encountered on AWF have been like that, according to memory)

not to mention that in order TO upload to a 3rd party site, the user would need to create an account, remember more passwords, etc, etc...

bleh!

it's a lot cleaner, neater, easier and more direct to keep images with the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom