adding two columns (1 Viewer)

bauer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:58
Hi all!

I'm trying to add together one column from four queries that are the same. They all have an id, and are all a count from another table.
What I want to do now, is add up the count of the four tables.
I've tried a union, but I didn't get a total of the count (Though I'm not too familar with unions, so I could've done something wrong).
Thank you all for your help

bauer

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Use a union query to get the other four queries into a single recordset. Then build a totals query based on the union query to sum the columns.

bauer

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your reply, however, when I tried the union query, it gave me only one instance of each type of the field that I wanted to group by, and not a total of the other column, but just one instance of it.

In the end, what I did was I made a table of my two feilds, and did an append query for each of my four queries, and then did a query on that one to get the total.

I'm not sure if this is the most effiecient way (probably not), but it works. The only problem I now have, which is just more annoying that anything else, is that I have to call all of these queries each time I want to get an accurate count, with of coures deleting the original contents each time. However, it works, so why not.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You might need to use union all rather than just union. Union eliminates duplicate rows, union all does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom