Advertising (1 Viewer)

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:53
Hi,
I absolutely agree that these forums are a place for discussion, not advertising.
That said, all of a sudden I am on the other side of the fence - my company is now hosting Access/SQL applications in the cloud, yahoo at long last! Folk are posting now and again on that very issue, and I'd like some guidance on how to suggest they look at our option. What would you advise? I tried a sample signature with a link, but I wouldn't want to use it unless you thought it was ok.
Jack

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:53
We can suggest anything we like, but this is really a question for @Jon - who is, after all, the site owner.

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
C'est cool. I'm hoping he takes a look at this thread.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:53
The way that I named him will attract his attention automatically.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:53
I think the issue is working out the difference between spam and genuine advertising.

But the problem as always, is that once you open the door to advertising, then you are also opening the door to spam.

I am also interested in the idea of being able to host MS Access on the web and would be interested in more information on how you propose to do it.

As you say it is often a subject that crops up, and I think that's probably your answer if you feed back into the thread where someone asks about this with a link to something which is useful, then that's not exactly advertising.

But as Richard says you need to to see what Jon thinks.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If you would like to advertise here, open a Google Adwords account and target this forum. If you are saying you want to advertise for free on this site, then that is a not allowed.

Genuine advertising is people who pay for placing ads. Spam is those who don't.

If you type "microsoft access hosting" (with quotes) into Google, there are lots of companies that offer this service.

Last edited:

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Jon, but I'm not saying I want to advertise.
Folk are posting now and again on the issue of Access hosting, and I've seen other posts where people say "Try greatcompany.com, they do what you want. Spoiler alert, I work for them!" Or "A widgetname app will do that - I have one which you can see in my sig."
But I won't do that unless I have a clear guideline on what is acceptable and what is not. For example, is the sig attached to this post ok, or would you prefer it to be omitted?
Regards,
Jack

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Interestingly, I see an example in this very thread: Uncle Gizmo has 13k posts, and has a link to his (not free) apps in his sig. Great stuff, seems fine to me.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Uncle is allowed a signature because he has over 1,000 posts and has been here for decades. Please omit the signature in your link.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've been looking at paid membership options where you can put a signature link at outset, but I don't have time to set this up right now. We used to have them but changed forum software.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I have occasionally PM'd posters on here with a conversation about what we do, and offered an opportunity to talk over their requirements.
I only do it when there seems to be a genuinely "good fit" with their requirements and our services (and they have stated they may want a paid service), and I clearly state that I don't normally tout for business on here.

I think I have done it 3 times in about 10 years.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The higher the persons contribution here, the more the leeway I give. I turn a blind eye to most of it for the longtime members and high posters.

If you allow link dropping with new folk, the forum can quickly become a spam fest. Everybody and their mother wants to get free links back to their websites, since links = money. It is a currency for the internet.

An example recently was with a certain Access database repair software company who kept engineering new threads and replying to old ones giving a link back to their website that sold their software. Their website url and software name have now been banned on this site, using the backend to instantly detect and **** out the details.

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Interesting isn't it, now I reflect.

I kicked off my career at home here in Oz in 1992, and sold a couple of Access apps (installed with 9 floppy disks!) and clicked around the Access Ring looking for hints and tips while setting up my own gig. My first regular posts as a newbie were on comp.databases.ms-access in 2005 learning from the greats - Tony Toews, Larry Linson, Mischka, Lyle Fairfield, Doug Steele, the truly remarkable Steve Lebens, David Fenton, Allen Browne and a new kid on the block named Albert Kallal.
Then I got a job alongside an Access MVP, Graham Seach, and learnt the most valuable lessons of my career. Back in the rapids later on, I found Utter Access, got some work in the UK, and managed to attend an Access conference in Reading, which was an eye-opener. We were all talking about Access on the web back then.
So after all that I found this group full of marvellous capable people, who answer newly posted questions way more quickly than me, but sometimes I can assist. More often I post complicated questions that ask Access to do more than it can. Funnily enough, after all that I've achieved one of my dreams - to get Access in the cloud cost-effectively for NFPs. I work with family therapists and other groups who get grants and need fast cheap highly secure database builds accessible by PC and phone that can be thrown away after the grant runs out - maybe only 12 months, so ROI is very hard to justify in most cases. So I'm proud of myself, and deeply indebted to the MS Access community for helping me get here.

Jack

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
got some work in the UK, and managed to attend an Access conference in Reading, which was an eye-opener.

Was this the one at which Luke Chung presented?

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
I don't recall, it would have been 2009 or 2010 I think.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Would May 2008 fit your time line?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I ask because I was there, and saw Luke Chung present at that conference talking about MS Access strategy and how MS Access fits into the business hierarchy.

I wonder if we met there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom