After Insert Trigger (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:13
Not sure what you mean? A few of our tables had a TimeStamp field that had a Default value of Now(). When we migrated the tables to SP lists, the lists columns kept their default settings but if you appended a record with an Insert SQL statement, the TimeStamp field would stay Null. However, adding a record in datasheet view or with a QueryDef would set it properly.

Easy fix but when I saw Crystal's reply, I wondered if Access would allow a Table Macro on a linked SP list. It will not; all the Ribbon options are greyed out.

SP sucks as a BE but it is better than what we had. We are requesting SQL/Azure SQL Server but even though our client is rich (thank you taxpayers!), these things take time. It doesn't help that every time they hear the word "Access" they make the sign of the cross and slowly back away from me...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 07:13
Not sure what you mean? A few of our tables had a TimeStamp field that had a Default value of Now(). When we migrated the tables to SP lists, the lists columns kept their default settings but if you appended a record with an Insert SQL statement, the TimeStamp field would stay Null. However, adding a record in datasheet view or with a QueryDef would set it properly.

Easy fix but when I saw Crystal's reply, I wondered if Access would allow a Table Macro on a linked SP list. It will not; all the Ribbon options are greyed out.

SP sucks as a BE but it is better than what we had. We are requesting SQL/Azure SQL Server but even though our client is rich (thank you taxpayers!), these things take time. It doesn't help that every time they hear the word "Access" they make the sign of the cross and slowly back away from me...

Well, if I see a question about a table-based trigger (i.e. data macro in Access), in the context of Sharepoint lists, and all else being equal (really meaning, "if I know nothing else about the context" which I didn't much when I first replied), then: a Power Automate flow is the natural solution.

With Power Automate, in just a couple minutes, you can set up a Flow package which automatically 'reacts' - upon any number of Triggers available. One Trigger is a change in a Sharepoint list. (or new record, or condition, or pretty much anything). Then once it reacts to that, you can do any number of things - update a record or records based on any logic including based on the record that was changed/added if desired, send emails, query data, move data, etc. It's basically like a low-code version of an ETL package complete with data-driven triggers.

If I hear data macro/trigger in re: Sharepoint, a Flow would be my top choice so I just figured I'd ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom