After splitting DB Forms become really slow on load (1 Viewer)

R

renenick

I have developed a couple DB's on a network and seem to run into a snag. Every where I look it is suggested to split the DB to a front end (on the local hard drive) and a back end (on the network). After finishing these DB's I split them like that and lost all speed in loading the forms. We are talking multiple second waits. Well I thought it might be the network, so I ran a copy of the DB before it was split stored in the same place as the back end. It was slightly slower then when I was running it off the local harddrive but much faster then the split DB. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is there something I have done wrong and what is it. i just don't see the benefit of splitting the DB. Please e-mail at nickrene@hotmail.com.

D

D B Lawson

I came across the same problem and it's because when you open the database on the client machine, it goes to the server and pulls all the information over to perform the queries etc. Many users trying to access the same frontend on a network just won't work for various reasons. The main one being the problem of record locking. I tried this on a network with 10 machines and everything crashed regularly until I split it and put individual frontends on each client machine. Doesn't help solve your slow problem but does confirm you are not alone!

charityg

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:27
Run performance analysis (Tools-Analyze-Performance) on everything and optimize all recommendations for indexing fields and creating relationships. Then compact the database. This should help the speed some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom