allow guest user account to run adminstrator's installed programs (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 08:45
The following article gives 3 explanations of how to do this: https://superuser.com/questions/693047/enable-access-to-programs-in-guest-account-in-windows-7

I followed the instruction in answer #3 for only 1 program I have installed on my laptop: iTunes. when I logged into the guest account afterwards, I opened iTunes and I got a warning dialog from windows asking about if I was granted privileges or not and had "cancel" and "continue" buttons on it. I clicked "continue" and all was good. However, when I went into the guests' "program files" dir, every single application's dir that was in my admin's dir was present and I could open every program's .exe and run it without issue. Python 3.3 was the only dir that was not present. can anyone explain this to me? I don't remember modifying any settings that could have caused this to happen. I will have a guest coming over this week and will be hosting them for a while and they will use the guest account. I don't really want them to have access to any other program I designate and put on the desktop via an .lnk.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:45
Giving any permission on a folder or file must also give permission to traverse the folders in their path to get there so all become visible.

It is a hideous piece of advice anyway. You would never give anyone, let alone Guest, Full Control over anything outside their own folder. Only designated Admins should be allowed in there.

Most admins disable the Guest account for security.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Giving any permission on a folder or file must also give permission to traverse the folders in their path to get there so all become visible
well the thing of it is Galax, before I even allowed these privileges on iTunes for the guest account, I opened the guest account's "start menu" folder and all of my programs were in there except for Python. can you explain that phenomenon? is it something i did and didn't remember perhaps?

the dir i looked at was "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:45
By default the Program Files folder is available to everyone to Read and Execute.

Python is probably installed on your account rather than for everyone.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
By default the Program Files folder is available to everyone to Read and Execute.
i assume I can fix this unwanted setting by modifying what you see in the attached image?

Attachments

• program_files_folder_props_security_tab.jpg
    program_files_folder_props_security_tab.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 159

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom