And the UK has a world champion again... (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:56
Just watched the Wilder-Fury II rematch. Fury looked mighty impressive.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
And now he has done it again. Very impressive!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:56
Missed this. Yeah, great fight. One of the best I have seen.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
A man his size isn't supposed to be as quick and agile as he. His ability to recover after getting hit is super-human.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The "shockwave" shot that hit Fury in the 4th...he didn't even go down immediately. And he got up after that. That punch must have been Wilders best power shot and he only took one round before he was back to normal again.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Right? In slo-mo you see it originate in his forehead and then work its way down the length of his body! I really enjoy watching him fight and especially his pre/post fight conferences. His trash-talk is first-rate and he never gets rattled - he wins the mental war each and every time. Even when Wilder took things to a personal level when he brought up his drug-induced hiatus, he refused to take the bait and just beat. his. ass.

I hope he sticks around for awhile - boxing is a much better sport with him in it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
He is the best trash talker out there. Messes with their heads. Then bursts into song after winning a gruelling world championship fight, followed by going on an all night bender at a rave!

Did you know he lost 139lbs before his first Wilder fight? That is huge!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Did you know he lost 139lbs before his first Wilder fight?
I did. He is a study in resiliency. I thought maybe the first fight being declared a draw was a way to generate money for the rematch. The 2nd was an old fashioned butt-whuppin' but I thought maybe Fury got lucky by bursting Wilder's ear drum early in the fight.

The 3rd fight I was wondering, now that Wilder was going to take it seriously, if the outcome would be different. To be frank, white boxers have not done that well in professional boxing - especially in the heavyweight division and black American boxers are quite fond of pointing this out. They both put on a great show, but Fury was able to stick to his plan and won the day.

I have always thought Wilder was not that great of a boxer - he has a right hand that can stop a truck but that is it. The best way to take his power punch is to not be there when it comes. Fury understood this and he and his trainer developed a plan and stuck to it.

Is Fury one of the greats? Absolutely. Is he the greatest? Too soon to tell but he definitely deserves his title and I would like to seem him unify them and then retire just to piss everyone off!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The draw in the first fight was pure corruption. Have you seen the CompuBox punch stats for that fight? Not sure if you know about ComputBox or not. Think they use AI to count the shots?

Fury landed more punches in 9 of the 12 rounds. For the total fight, he landed 84 punches to Wilders 71.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
If I understand correctly, Compubox is for metrics only and the judges do NOT have access to it during the fight and cannot use it to determine their scorecards.

There is NO doubt that Fury out boxed Wilder during the first fight but does two knockdowns - one that almost knocked him out, negate that? I do not know. Add to that equation that Fury recovered and finished the round stronger than Wilder and I really do not know how to call it.

I think declaring it a draw was the right call.

I will never forget the look on Wilder's face when Fury rose from the dead while he was doing his victory dance - classic!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The knockdowns give a 10-8 round. So, Wilder gained 4 points in total for the two knockdowns. But I think the majority of people think Fury won about 9 of the other rounds by outboxing Wilder. That would give Fury a 9 points gain. Say Wilder wins another round. That is a net 4 for Fury.

Correct, the judges don't see CompuBox. And the judges have some freedom on how they interpret things, such as aggression etc. But in the final round when Fury was unconscious, he was nearly taking Wilder out near the end of that round, astonishing! And he was putting his hands behind his back too. Great entertainment!

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 05:56
AJ remains my favorite, I hope he wins the rematch, soo sad seeing him lose.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Fury win. Anything can happen in boxing. Just look at Fury vs Wilder 1, where they claimed it was a draw.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I'm predicting a Fury win as well, but Whyte is quite the power-puncher, all it takes is one when you are playing with the heavy weights

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Agreed, and that is why it is so unpredictable. However, he managed to survive 3 bouts with Wilder, the hardest puncher on the planet. But Fury's new style is more aggressive, moving forwards behind a power jab. I figure he is more likely to get hit that way, but less likely to get an unfair decision, because the knockout puts things into his own hands, literally.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Text book bout. Hope he sticks around for a while

Harrybrigham

Local time
My dad was a boxer, he fought during the 1920's. In those days he said, "In America you have to knock someone out to get a draw."

Reactions: Jon

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Professional boxing does have its share of corruption, no doubt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom