Announcing Microsoft SQL Server --- on Linux (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 11:01
Have to admit avoiding Linux all my life.
Question: What does SQL Server on Linux mean for me?
Example, I have several computers networked at home and have been wanting to install a full SQL Server to take advantage of the new SQL Server / Excel object model tool to enhance data mining.

Would Linux be an advantage over a Microsoft Server to run SQL Server in cost, simplicity or other aspects?

My knowledge of SQL Server from installation, security, maintenance, SQL Views, and light programming is above average.
The question is: what could Linux offer that I might want to consider?

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/03/07/announcing-sql-server-on-linux/
NOTE: a few paragraphs from this Microsoft Link
This is the most significant release of SQL Server that we have ever done, and brings with it some fantastic new capabilities. SQL Server 2016 delivers:

Extending SQL Server to Also Now Run on Linux

Today I’m excited to announce our plans to bring SQL Server to Linux as well. This will enable SQL Server to deliver a consistent data platform across Windows Server and Linux, as well as on-premises and cloud. We are bringing the core relational database capabilities to preview today, and are targeting availability in mid-2017.

SQL Server on Linux will provide customers with even more flexibility in their data solution. One with mission-critical performance, industry-leading TCO, best-in-class security, and hybrid cloud innovations – like Stretch Database which lets customers access their data on-premises and in the cloud whenever they want at low cost – all built in.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 11:01
Went to the hardware store to purchase gloves as my first step to install Linux.
Will I also need block and tackle (pulley) for the heavy lifting? As a Windows purist, that is how little I know about Linux.

Would really like to see some Linux users give opinions or some links on how to proceed from here, or if it would be worth doing.

This is a Microsoft step-by-step on installing MS SQL Server ODBC drivers on Linux.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh568454(v=sql.110).aspx
Just wondering what else there might be to prepare for to move forward.

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:01
If I had to guess, I'd guess they're trying to get a bigger piece of the web market, which seems to be dominated by MySQL (the M in LAMP stack). My perception is that a high percentage of websites are hosted on Linux servers rather than Windows servers.

Reactions: Rx_

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:01
I have only briefly looked at Linux. I have spent some quality time with SCO-UNX. Gotta love the command line. The last time I saw Linux, they had a respectable GUI interface (that was some years ago).

Reactions: Rx_

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 17:01
I agree with pbaldy, I think they've been trying to break further into that smaller website / lamp stack, market for a while now. The introduction of "web edition" a few years back would support this theory also.

I have to wonder how SQL server will work on Linux:

1. Will there be updated version of SSMS
2. Active directory authentication? (is possible in Linux)
2. Will there be updated versions of SQL data tools, visual studio. How will all this work?
3. Reporting services to run on Apache?
4. How will clustering work without Windows? Always on, mirroring.
5. Will they go with a LAMP style model? which goes against known best practice regarding databases and websites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom