Any way to receive a read receipt from emails sent using VBA, without the recipient's knowledge? (1 Viewer)

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:04
As a good friend likes to say, "everybody" is a LOT of people.
you can always create a Group and msg them in the group.
this is but suggestions, what else can you add?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 21:04
So you haven't checked out that link I posted?

arnelgp

Local time
maybe in the future, they will add functionality to your pc/laptop or email client.
that whenever a mail is received it will vibrate your pc/laptop or make audible sound
until you make it to stop.
That is the functionality i would love to see on deadwind 2.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:04
When I wanted to send a mail, I used to add a picture with 1x1 pixel size and set its src to the above mentioned php page

I'm sure that worked for you, but at least some modern security suites that have web analysis capabilities consider the "single pixel" page to be a spam tool that exists only because of the code "beneath" the pixel. Depending on user settings, that page would be disallowed. I never set things that high, but some of the Navy systems I worked on were bordering on paranoid with their settings. A 1-pixel page that I could see from home was not viewable from work.

Not sayin' you did wrong. Just pointing out that some sites could block that page depending on paranoia in the IT staff. (Which, come to think of it, is a commonly found situation.)

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 06:04
A 1-pixel page
I'm sorry but I can't understand what you mean by 1 pixel page.
If you mean 1 pixel size image, then I could change it to any size. Because the image in mail html source is set to be off screen and its size doesn't really matter.

I only used the image as a trigger to my php site.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
size doesn't really matter.

Women have heard that old story many times.

But I digress. A one-pixel page is a page where one illuminated pixel is on the screen. Doesn't matter whether the screen is 1024x768 or if the image size is 1x1. The issue is that the displayed pixel doesn't really matter - it is the code behind the page that showed that pixel. And many web pages use the 1x1 pixel page to hide bad code.

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 06:04
Women have heard that old story many times.

But I digress. A one-pixel page is a page where one illuminated pixel is on the screen. Doesn't matter whether the screen is 1024x768 or if the image size is 1x1. The issue is that the displayed pixel doesn't really matter - it is the code behind the page that showed that pixel. And many web pages use the 1x1 pixel page to hide bad code.
Well, if 1 pixel image may bother, I can make it 100x100 or even larger. It's positioned way too outside of the screen and visibility is set to No.
As I said, Fortunately or unfortunately we don't use that method. We (or better to say almost all companies and organizations) are on instant messaging.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As long as your users don't complain about trouble with that page, you have nothing you need to do anyway. It is only if someone has turned up their web security settings high enough AND that particular security suite tests for it.

arnelgp

Local time
As long as your users don't complain about trouble with that page, you have nothing you need to do anyway. It is only if someone has turned up their web security settings high enough AND that particular security suite tests for it.
like Kitayama said they are now using instant messaging, this is a thing of the past, so this one will Never happen.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
True, arnelp. Sometimes I get an odd association in this tired old brain and who knows where it will lead.

arnelgp

Local time
this tired old brain and who knows where it will lead.
i don't see anything bad about your brain.
still functioning as it should (i can still see your theological (expounding) way of explaining things).

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:04
My email software blocks loading of remote images (including 1x1 pixel) by default as an anti tracking measure

arnelgp

Local time
And as the last step I added the page to Active Directory's safe DNS list.
But we are living in a modern time and everything has changed.
Most of companies and organizations I know have stopped using e-mail.
Here, using e-mail or Outlook to contact others is somehow old-school.

Instant messaging Apps stand in first place here.

HiTechCoach

Local time
When you send an email with the request for a read receipt, that is all it is, a request.

The email recipient and their email client application are in total control of whether to send a read receipt back to the sender.

It does not matter if you are using VBA, .NET, or any other programming language to send the email with a read receipt request, it is still totally up to the recipient and their email client whether a read receipt is sent back to the sender.

if you send the email in HTML format, you could use a tracking pixel. Depending on the recipient's email client application settings, it might work. It generally works better than a read receipt request.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thank you, Boyd. The one-pixel page is also referred to as a tracking pixel. For some reason our ship didn't call it that. But... the Right way, the Wrong way, and the Navy way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom