Anyone finding it financially tough this xmas? (1 Viewer)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:38
This section didn't exist until well after the political and religious insults started.

"Insults" or "debate" is a matter of perspective. Some people, particularly the religious, have a lot of trouble accepting criticism of their faith even though they are quite happy to publicly blame all the ills of the world on those who don't share their delusion.

Religion is the biggest political issue on the planet today.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:38
"Insults" or "debate" is a matter of perspective. Some people, particularly the religious, have a lot of trouble accepting criticism of their faith even though they are quite happy to publicly blame all the ills of the world on those who don't share their delusion.

I know , oh I know Basil.

Nationalism, Regionalism, Tribalism, Capitalism, Statism, Anarchism, Communism, Nihilism , Pestilence, War, Famine, Death , Love and Money.

All works of the Jews and their Abrahamic brothers!

Some people are quite happy to publicly blame all the ills of the world on those who don't share their delusion.

Some people !

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 10:38

Specifically calling certain members names or insulting them in such childish ways as calling them "stupid" for believing what they believe is an insult, not really a debate. Debates are not based on opinions, but facts. Calling someone stupid is an opinion.

And yes, this did happen. I'm sure you an dig up much more instances of childish bickering as well.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Calling someone stupid is an opinion.

So is the position that political and religious discussion is unacceptable.

As I said earlier, nobody is forcing you to get involved. If you don't like it, why do you participate in it?

My guess is that you object to these discussions because it invariably shows religious beliefs to be farcical and you don't wish to be reminded that you are have adopted irrational beliefs.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
This section didn't exist until well after the political and religious insults started. I never wanted this section to exist in the first place because I thought it would drive people away. Thus, my point...

with respect Vass I think that you have the point the wrong way, surely this section was created to get the turbulence away from the Watercooler which exists for the lighter mood, people who come to this section must expect ferocious debate, but stopping short of personal slander/insult, the problem is that some people are more sensitive than others , and some more able to insult subtly.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
How the he'll does natural selection have anything to do with a 5 year old being killed in a road accident.

Brian

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Pathetic response when shown to be mistaken.

Brian

I started the atheist stuff, as I feel they are responsible for shutting down, many a thread here - with their off topic, unreasonable, tedious, teenage arguments.

Why YOU, rose to such a challenge, with the usual tedious, teenage religious arguments, is entirely up to you. I dont think anyone with faith has commented, to warrent it?

So the cats right, in who started it is up for grabs. All you can do as an individual is take responsibility for yourself.

Or in the hypocritical and unthinking atheists case - try to blame religion, even though its had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
You admit to starting it and then say that who started it is up for grabs, then have the gall to talk about tedious teenage arguments.

Amazing how you object to people responding to your banality with logic, but you are correct , you are not worth arguing with.

Brian

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
You admit to starting it and then say that who started it is up for grabs, then have the gall to talk about tedious teenage arguments.

Amazing how you object to people responding to your banality with logic, but you are correct , you are not worth arguing with.

Brian

I started something, what you started is something else.

Its really not difficult Brain - for people with the supposed intellect of an atheist.

Actually employ the logic you espouse - and you'll do a whole lot better!

Vassago

Local time
So is the position that political and religious discussion is unacceptable.

Not at all, I just hope that people can be grown ups about it and not insult other members. Intelligent debate doesn't require insults.

As I said earlier, nobody is forcing you to get involved. If you don't like it, why do you participate in it?

It's my job as staff on the site to help keep order. If we have members blatantly insulting other members, who would want to come back?

My guess is that you object to these discussions because it invariably shows religious beliefs to be farcical and you don't wish to be reminded that you are have adopted irrational beliefs.

Hardly an educated guess. Where have I said I was religious? I'm curious on what led you to that conclusion. :rolleyes:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Pathetic response when shown to be mistaken.

Brian

It's your choice to dismiss the sentiment of my words in preference to whether you were 'provoked' or not. To me it is a mere technicality. I can retract for your benefit alone and my point is not lessened.

The dogs of Pavlov continue to foam over such terms as 'atheists' and 'Americans'. Anthony may have rung the bell but you chose to slobber.

Look to your own part in this.

Vassago

Local time
And this thread has turned into a finger pointing thread...

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
And this thread has turned into a finger pointing thread...

I disagree. My point is that it is the LACK of acknowledgment on our own parts for what has happened on these boards is the cause for history to keep repeating itself and thus the drop of participation altogether through sheer boredom.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:38
Why can’t we have a forum where we leave the gloves at the door? We sign an agreement that promises not to hold Jon liable. No moderators allowed. If you want to act like a gentleman fine, or throw the F bomb that’s ok too. I would be willing to fork out a few pieces of sliver if necessary.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Why can’t we have a forum where we leave the gloves at the door? We sign an agreement that promises not to hold Jon liable. No moderators allowed. If you want to act like a gentleman fine, or throw the F bomb that’s ok too. I would be willing to fork out a few pieces of sliver if necessary.

The problem with that is people would have to police themsleves as to which forum they posted in. Some of the more turgid, often repeated posters, deny they are being anything other than reasonable, benevolent to those who actually they are belittling , they wont want to be in the no holds barred section, instead prefering a more passive unwilling target.

The weapon of choice or the symptom of many a culprit, is repitition not the F bomb, and they are in complete denial that the problems got anything to do with them.

My suggestion would be to have a voting button for each post. Do we have that?
That way everyone could get a feeling of the mood of the rest of the forum. People wouldnt have to waste time on problem posters explaining the problem, and a problem poster couldn't claim they were a harmoniuos member, with just a few unreasonable objections when in reality post after post is getting 50 thumbs down.

Some posts will be unpopular, some will be supposed to be unpopular. But at least there will be no denying whats what as there seems to be now.

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
The weapon of choice or the symptom of many a culprit, is repitition not the F bomb, and they are in complete denial that the problems got anything to do with them.

It has been interesting exploring this issue with individuals without the support of the mob. Colors shine much brighter without them.

I say explore because they managed to never respond to or dare I say understand the points being made.

Vassago

Local time

There are plenty of other forums on the internet that allow and even encourage this behavior. Why would we need to do that on a professional forum regarding access coding?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Some of the more turgid, often repeated posters, deny they are being anything other than reasonable, benevolent to those who actually they are belittling ,

Like this entirely unprovoked diversion from the topic?

Ho ho hum and merry Christmas. I presume the atheists are similarly denying the existence of Santa at this time of year - as he is of course akin to the myth of God.

Or do they pick and choose which fabrication they want destroyed and which suits them just fine, just like everyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom