Anyone know how should i do this kind of report?Kind of software and skills needed (1 Viewer)

A

alfred_62

Hi can anyone help me here. I have a project to do and i have no idea.

This project basically is a directory listing. I have sort the data according to the data. Also i have to change the fonts, size, spacing etc according to the data. I will give some of the requirements below. Is there any software that i can do all these? Please advise. I will try to learn the software.
Sample requirement as below.
Do i need to use crystall report?
Do i need to learn programming?

Database Structure – Religious Section

Religious database is a flat file. This contains five fields namely:
1. Religion – Text(50) – Contains the religion.
2. ListingName – Text(50) – Contains the religious place or organization name.
3. Incumbent – Text(50) – Contains the incumbents name or designation or empty.
4. Address – Text(250) – Contains the address.
5. Telephone – Text(50) – Contains the formatted telephone number.
All 5 fields will appear in the directory.

When converting the table into image format following instructions have to be considered:
1. By Religion records should be grouped.
2. Religion should be sorted according to the following order (Not in the alphabetical order).
BUDDHIST SECTION
HINDU SECTION
CHRISTIAN SECTION
ISLAMIC SECTION
OTHERS
3. Religion should be printed before the record information using 18 point bold uppercase lettering. If it cannot be accommodated into one line 2 lines can be used.
4. Religion should be centered within the column.
5. Religion should not be printed at the bottom of a column.
6. ListingName should be sorted in alphabetical order inside each religion.
7. If there are several equal ListingNames those records should be sorted by the Address.
8. If both ListingName and the Address are same those records should be grouped and all telephone numbers from the second should be printed with “Do ….” As the Address.
9. Incumbent and Address will follow in new lines with a two space tab (right indentation). If the Address is equal or less than three characters and the incumbent field is not null both field should be concatenated to Address field. If there are two or more numbers to be printed with same address this concatenation should not be done.
10. If the Incumbent field is empty there should not be empty new line.
11. If the Incumbent or Address is too long to fit into one column it should be printed in two or more lines appropriately. Breaking the line should be done from a space (Immediately before the maximum line length is preferred).
12. Telephone should be printed with the Address with the right alignment.
13. In between Telephone and Address there should be doted line to connect the two.
14. One record should lie within a one column.
15. Each page (Left page – left upper corner and right page – right upper corner) should contain the starting word of starting ListingName and the starting word of the finishing ListingName with the page number.
16. Each right hand page should contain the Religion in that page. This should appear vertically in the right hand corner of the paper in bold size in a black box in paper colour. Box with ‘BUDDHIST SECTION’ prints top of the image area and next box (with ‘HINDU SECTION’) should print down and next box (with next Religion) should print down and so on. 5 Religious should be positioned vertically right-hand corner. The gap between two boxes should be 1mm. If two or more religions come to one page all relevant boxes should appear in the same page. Use 50% gradation for the box.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:19
This looks like an exam question of some sort.

The key to it, I believe is this line:
>>>When converting the table into image format<<<<

This would indicate to me that whoever set the question has already indicated to you which software you should use answer the question.

A

alfred_62

Uncle Gizmo said:
This looks like an exam question of some sort.

The key to it, I believe is this line:
>>>When converting the table into image format<<<<

This would indicate to me that whoever set the question has already indicated to you which software you should use answer the question.
can explain more?
:)
cause from the sample that i see
he just means to convert into pdf format which cannot be editted.

what software do you suggest i use?
:confused:

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
From your original post

>>>>> Is there any software that i can do all these? <<<<<

and I get from this line in the exam question >>>When converting the table into image format<<<<

that the question poser is referring to some particular sort of software, as converting the table into image format is not a process I associate with MS access.

Now as for the question as to whether you can do what you want with Access, then I think there's a good chance of coming up with a decent looking report, but access reports are quite specialized, they do not convert to other formats very well.

now are you prepared to Continue to use Access to answer this exam question or do you think it might be a good idea to go back to your tutor and find out which software would be best.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
>>>>>13. In between Telephone and Address there should be doted line to connect the two.<<<<<

I have seen this done before in Access, but it's not a built in feature. It's not something I would expect to be part of an exam question. So I am convinced that Access is not the right program for this particular question. You could possibly come up with something reasonable in Access, but you are going to need to become a very accomplished programmer to complete the task.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
>>>>Use 50% gradation for the box<<<<

Again, I've never seen this done in access . I'm not saying it can't be done I'm saying I've never done it and I wouldn't know where to start!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom