Append new/changed data from excel (No Duplicates) (1 Viewer)

crazdandconfusd

Local time
Today, 17:27
I've researched this and couldn't find any information. I'm able to import new data from excel just fine, but I can't import updated data from excel due to duplicates not being allowed for a particular field. Is there a way to keep from importing duplicate records based on one field, but still import data from other fields where the information is different from the excel file?

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:27
The way I would approach this task is import the Excel sheet into a temporary table. Then use a Find Unmatched query to append the relevant data to your working table.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Here's a DB in which I use that technique. Check the code behind the On Click event of the Continue button on FRM_Import.

Copy both files to your desk top or the same folder.

Attachments

• Import.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,003
Last edited:

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
In the code you will notice, that there are a couple of steps that massage the data prior to appending it to the working table.

crazdandconfusd

Local time
Today, 17:27
I was able to perform the unmatched query, but got lost with the Event for the Continue button since I'm a novice and don't understand a lot of code. I've attached the database I have with just the table and fieldnames. The first field jmli_rqst_no is the field that is unique and won't allow duplicates, but I wanted to import the other fields with updated information. This is the last hurdle in order to make the database more functional. Thank you for any help with this.

Attachments

• Parts Tracker.zip.zip
    150 KB · Views: 156

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Your DB has only one table :eek: and on the face of things would seem to have a rather De-Normalised structure. You might want to read up on Data Normalisation and possibly work through a tutorial or two. You may then want to reconsider your data structure and redesign your DB, this in turn may make your task a little easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom