Append query won't work!! (1 Viewer)

Noreene Patrick

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:46
I have been using a database for several months that was designed by someone else and worked perfectly until lately. I enter the data and then do an append query (which like I said has always worked).

But, now I get this message that say:
Cannot append these records because ...set 0 field(s) to null due to a type conversion failure and didn't add 9 records to the table due to key violations.

Now, 9 records was all I put in and sometimes I can put in records and it will only append 1 or 2 of those records and no more.

I cannot figure anything that I am doing that is different to cause this failure.

Could you please give me suggestions on what to look for in solving this problem?

Thanks to you in advance.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The part about "key violations" is telling you what is wrong.

On the table, someone has placed a key or index with the "No Duplicates" attribute.

You are trying to input records that would violate that attribute. I.e., the new records match previously-existing records but the table's definition says that's a no-no.

Noreene Patrick

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, I have checked my tables and the only fields that have "Yes, no duplicates" are the primary key field called "record number" (which is an autonumber) in one table, and the field "badge number" in another table which is the primary key (which both of these fields have to be unique).

So, maybe I'm not understanding your answer correctly. Or, is there something else that I could check?

Thanks

Noreene Patrick

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, it's me again.

You were absolutely correct!! It was a problem with my autonumber not autonumbering for some reason I can't figure out. But, it was trying to give a number in that field that was already in use.

Thanks again for your help.

This forum is GREAT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom