Append Query (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 08:19
Due to having to swap out three machines because of sending them for virus removal, and other reason I find I have three access identical programs with mostly identical Ids and identical data but each with some different data. All stuff I don’t want to lose. My thoughts are use a append query. My question is what will happen with the records that have the same Id and Identical data. Is there a better way than query?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:19
Appended records should get new ID in whatever db you decide is the 'master' and import into.

Why do you have 3 versions of data? Is database not split and backend on shared server?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 12:19
I would add a field to identify where the data came from as well.
As June7 states, the new table would get it's own ID, but it would be worth saving OldID? I would have thought?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Appended records should get new ID in whatever db you decide is the 'master' and import into.

Why do you have 3 versions of data? Is database not split and backend on shared server?
Thanks for answering (no back end) One computer resides at my wife's nursing home. My back up computer resides in my trunk. My computer resides in my office, or on my front seat when I am traveling. This all came about because of virus, re-directs, and my wife messing up up her computer beyond belief. (she has trouble control the movement of her hands and fingers) I have refrained until now, to use One Drive. I didn't like the idea of having my data available to others. Even if I use one drive it would only kick in when I open my compute which is every day on my computer, but never on my wife's computer and very seldom on my back up.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Sounds like you have a sort of replication issue. I doubt you can use file date stamps to decide which db contains the correct info because all you have to do is open a db and you will alter its modified date. I'd say that you'll have to create a table that allows duplicates in every field and dump everything into it and manually go through them, unless you have some kind of reliable date field to go by. In that case, you should be able to only append the latest version of a record. However, that date field might have to be a sort of 'update date' value, otherwise the date of the creation of a record has little bearing on whether or not it is the latest data if you can edit any field in that record without affecting its 'create date'.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Sounds like you have a sort of replication issue. I doubt you can use file date stamps to decide which db contains the correct info because all you have to do is open a db and you will alter its modified date. I'd say that you'll have to create a table that allows duplicates in every field and dump everything into it and manually go through them, unless you have some kind of reliable date field to go by. In that case, you should be able to only append the latest version of a record. However, that date field might have to be a sort of 'update date' value, otherwise the date of the creation of a record has little bearing on whether or not it is the latest data if you can edit any field in that record without affecting its 'create date'.
Thanks for answering. I like the last part of your answer. I should be able to figure out the last entered data in those that need to be imported into the main DB on my main computer from the Id numbers of the new entries from my back up computer and my wife's computer. They will have the highest numbers. There is probable only 10 or 12 records in each of the back up computer and my wife's computer. I can Guarantee one thing. I will never do that again, no matter how frustrated I am over three computers screwing up all at the same time. (Oh! PS I I am unable at this time able to get into my I- Drive account) I think I also I need to bite the bullet and look into one drive.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Don't forget - I'm saying just because a record has a date field that tells you when it was entered doesn't mean it wasn't edited afterwards.
One Drive comes with Office 365 subscriptions; what about Google Drive? Should be free.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As the others have suggested, you're going to be on your own to merge these three files back into one. I've done similar tasks and they all seem to be custom because they depend on how you can identify unique data and whether or not child tables come into play.

I would not plan on using OneDrive or any other similar cloud file sharing service to share an Access application. This will cause a real mess if multiple people open the db at the same time because the last person to save will wipe out the first person's data.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
As the others have suggested, you're going to be on your own to merge these three files back into one. I've done similar tasks and they all seem to be custom because they depend on how you can identify unique data and whether or not child tables come into play.

I would not plan on using OneDrive or any other similar cloud file sharing service to share an Access application. This will cause a real mess if multiple people open the db at the same time because the last person to save will wipe out the first person's data.
Thanks Pat. I haven't had time to check but I believe can Identify the wayward records in the two other database by the newest Id's and then can import them via a query to separate them from there tables. No other user, so that's not a problem. My wife's condition has deteriorated to the point she can't use a database any more. in fact that is what got me into trouble. her nursing as most is in quarantine so I can get in to fix her computer,so I have been playing musical chairs with three computers. BTW: what happened to the Thanks button on this new format.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
BTW: what happened to the Thanks button on this new format.
It's now "Like" at the lower right of a post.
Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope there is some chance of recovery. Best wishes to the both of you.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:19
How many records are you dealing with? If it's 1,000 or less maybe Excel could be a tool, just thinking out loud.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
It's now "Like" at the lower right of a post.
Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope there is some chance of recovery. Best wishes to the both of you.
That's crazy. Sometimes I hate the answer, but what to thank them anyways.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've stopped complaining about the changes for the sake of change. No one cares. No one listens.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Just kidding. Not angry. The only one I get angry with is myself.
I guess I should have responded to that to say that it wasn't meant to convey any admonition or whatever, because it looks like things have taken a bit of a nasty turn.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I guess I should have responded to that to say that it wasn't meant to convey any admonition or whatever, because it looks like things have taken a bit of a nasty turn.
You lost me. I didn't perceive any animosity in any post, and I didn't see any nasty turn, but then again I see humor in just about everything.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I guess I misinterpreted "Just kidding. Not angry." comment. Then comes "No one listens" seemingly out of left field and it looks like what I wrote caused things to take a wrong turn - not that I could make sense as to why.

pushpam02

Local time
Today, 17:49
I've stopped complaining about the changes for the sake of change

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
My humor has got me in trouble more than once. One time in the Navy I said to the officer in charge, "Well an old guy like you", and he didn't think it was funny. I learned the hard way never use a "Fat Women" joke, when I am preaching. No woman things it's funny, and men don't dare laugh, at least the married ones. Now jokes on men are Ok. This one always goes over big. "When I go to Hobby Lobby or Michael with my wife, she tells me to stand near the cashier, get your bank card ready and don't move until I get back"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom