Archive / Update (1 Viewer)

willsaunders

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:29
I'm making a program to manage timesheets. It takes in all emloyee entries; the client they have worked for, the work they have done, the rate they have charged and the hours they have worked and works out how much to charge each client for each employee for each month.

All timesheet entries are stored in one table so it could get very big after time. They are all stored so a balance previous to the working month can be calculated by adding up the totals for each client for each employee. Then the balance for the current working month can be shown. Then the total can be added up and then all this information can be displayed in a report.

As mentioned this timesheet entry table can get very big and slow things down. How can I archive older data somewhere else where it doesn't really matter too much how big the file gets because it will rarely get looked in because the reports have been printed and the data is old.

I was hoping to be able to use some sort of query to take out all data of the current table with certain criteria, say older than 3 months, then move it to the archive table.

I've never done this before, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Just want to keep the tables in my database tidy really and allow them to run efficiently.

I would have to have a client balance somewhere in another table so I could still calculate previous months total wouldn't I.

Does it make sense to you all?

Cheers,

Will.

willsaunders

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:29
Think I may have something... any suggestions though would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom