Archiving Old Records (1 Viewer)

rosenn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:17
Any ideas on how I could go about archiving data from my Medical Patient Database? Patients are represented with a single record. Each patient could have an unlimited amount of admissions (linked by PatientIndex), surgeries (again linked by PatientIndex), and unfortuantely, complications (again linked by PatientIndex).

If I would like to make a useful archive of inactive patients (for example, over 18 yrs. old, which puts them outside our age group), I would need to archive not only their primary record, but anything that links with the PatientIndex field - which could be an unlimited amount of Admissions, Surgeries, or Complications.

Is this worth it to try to do such an archive? Should I just let the Dbase keep getting bigger (17 Megs and climbing after 1 yr). I could open all associated recordsets, search for the PatientIndex that matched, and send the records over to a table in a second, mirror image archive dbase.

What do you folks think?

Thanks,
Nelson

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:17
One solution to archiving data is by moving "old" records to a parallel table in a separate mdb.

When creating a anchive, one has to also create a method of restoring archived data to the active mdb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom