Assigning Licences for custom Excel/Access apps (1 Viewer)

leannemurphy

Local time
Today, 11:31
Hi everyone,

has anyone done this before? I’m considering developing a few simple but useful excel /access apps that I’d like to stop people from sharing with others… has anyone attempted to do a type of licensing system that prevents/deters copying?

Leanne

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:31
Yes I have.
You cannot completely prevent users redistributing your apps but you can certainly make it more difficult.
I'm assuming you are hoping to sell these apps otherwise there is little point trying to restrict their use.

Possible approaches that I have used include:
1. Requiring a provided licence key to be used when someone installs your app
2. Requiring product activation
3. Only allowing apps to be used by certified users / on certified workstations
4. Allowing apps to be installed on multiple workstations but so they can not be used simultaneously on more machines than the number of licences purchased
5. Providing time-limited versions free - 'try before you buy'
etc...

For the apps that I sell, I always require a licence key for installation & usually employ one or more of the other approaches, depending on the price / complexity of the app.

Some of these are easy to implement. Others are a lot of work to setup and test.
If its too restrictive, you may seriously annoy legitimate users
Only you can decide if the effort is worthwhile
Bear in mind no method exists that is absolutely foolproof against a knowledgeable and determined hacker

After all there are still plenty of unlicensed copies of Windows & Office in widespread use despite the best efforts of MS to present that.

There is also another viewpoint to consider.
Sometimes allowing software to be 'shared' may result in some additional sales down the line through 'word of mouth'
In fact, some large come companies deliberately allowed their software to be pirated to increase its acceptance in the community.
For example, Macromedia did that with Dreamweaver over a decade ago. The software became ubiquitous as a result.
This worked well enough that they made a lot of money when Adobe purchased the company a few years later

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom