Assigning Work to Employees using Barcode in ID Card (1 Viewer)

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:06
Hi ..I am Designing a Database for which I want assign activities to my employees so that when they scan their ID Card daily they will know what they are supposed to work. For this scenario I am using a barcode for each employees and this barcode will be present in their ID Card . Right now I created a form which consists of these below listed fields,
Activity, Start Time, Start Date, End Time, End Date , Resource Incharge, Machine .... and an Assign Button , using this assign button I am writing all the data to a table.. Can anyone suggest me how to give this information from Assign Button or Table to the particular person barcode...??

any idea is appreciated..

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Today, 20:06
Hi Santhosh

I would assume your table would also include a field to identify who Activity, Start Time, Start Date, End Time, End Date , Resource Incharge, Machine .... refer to? So your form needs to include a control to record the employee, this could be a textbox or combobox for example. Now, using the barcode to speed up entry (good idea), i would suggest a combobox whose record source is from your Employees table (you do have an Employees table?) based on the PK, employees name and BARCODE, so when you scan the barcode it knows who that is.

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
@IssKint ...Thanks for the information .. I am able to understand only few parts in your comment .. the form which I have has the field resource incharge which has the same barcode of employees (id card) ..so right now I have a table with all details ..what i thought is I could use an query or macro to filter records based on employee scanning his barcode .. for example ..if i have 10 records entered and I have an barcode like 123456789011 ..when I scan it ,, it checks whether my barcode matches the 10 records and filters the record which is the activity I need to work today.. Am I in the right direction ??

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
How do you plan to handle the bar codes? Do you have a BC reader DLL?

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
@JLCantara ..yeah i have a barcode scanner with me to scan labels and cards ..Symbol LS 2208.

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
Is it transferring auto the bar code read to the field selected in your form: I forgot the procedure so I don't remember if Windows treated it as an input device or if the installed DLL was taking care of the conversions...

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Today, 20:06
Is it transferring auto the bar code read to the field selected in your form: I forgot the procedure so I don't remember if Windows treated it as an input device or if the installed DLL was taking care of the conversions...

Hi JL,
USB bar code scanners do not need a DLL. The input from the scan is received as the numerical read of the code. True the Symbol LS 2208 can have other connections, but on a PC the USB is the more likely. Mostly you have a 'setup' card with various barcode's and after connecting the scanner for the first time, you scan certain ones to setup the scanner. I use them all the time for various inputs, even identical to the OP's requirements.

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
@JL ..the scanner works fine it reads the numerical data.

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
As I mentioned I do not remember all the procedures I used. At Domfer, the PC receiving the bar codes needed a DLL while at MultiCaf a DLL was necessary to GENERATE bar codes but I didn't know that reading was a pass through.

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
@JL Cantara ...Assigning work to employees is working fine with barcode scanner.
@JL Cantara and @Isskint ..Can you please look my thread ..
"Form Fields not populated in Main Navigation form but works independently" ..I am having this Issue , can you give me some inputs in this thread..

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
..Can you please look my thread ..
"Form Fields not populated in Main Navigation form but works independently" ..I am having this Issue , can you give me some inputs in this thread..

More detail on this, and a screen shot maybe helpful.

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
@AccessBlaster ..

Hi ...I have created a form called Form1 which has some 7 fields in it. The fields are listed below
Activity|StartDate |StartTime| Enddate |EndTime |ResourceIncharge| Machine|

The fields resourceIncharge and Machine [combo box] gets the value based on Activity so I have a logic in select row source
ResourceIncharge : [Forms]![Form1]![txtCavityBlockCutSquareBlank]
Machine: [Forms]![Form1]![txtCavityBlockCutSquareBlank]
[Forms]![Form1]![txtCavityBlockCutSquareBlankResourceIncharge]

This form is working fine.But when I place this form inside my Main navigation form in a tab , i am not able to see the fields resourceincharge and machine getting populated. If i Click on the resource incharge I get this box [Forms]![Form1]![txtCavityBlockCutSquareBlank] and not the names of resource in combo box..

thread located in this url :
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1447418#post1447418
Picture Url:

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ponsanthoshponniah/form1 resource_zpslpshhwh5.jpg

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ponsanthoshponniah/subform resourcename_zpsb48kzl53.png

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ponsanthoshponniah/form1 machine name_zpseawp9ij6.png

Anyhelp is appreciated..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom