Attachment Field crashes after Microsoft Office Update (1 Viewer)

gpds0901

Local time
Yesterday, 20:17
Hello everyone! At my work, we recently has an update from Microsoft Office and now we can't use attachment field at all. All the access database would crash whenever we try to attach or remove attachment. Does anyone has similar issue? If you do, have you find any solution or workaround for that?

Thank you!

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
The optimal solution is to remove the attachment field and store the attachments externally. Add a field which stores the path to the attachments instead.

There have been no other reports yet of the most recent update causing this particular problem, but it could be the reason. Try rolling back the update on one test computer to see if that resolves the problem for it. Then roll back the others and let us know.

Thanks.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 04:17
Ideally, don't use attachment fields at all.

Which version of Access are you using? If 365, which version and build?

EDIT: I see George got there a bit faster!

gpds0901

Local time
Thank you @GPGeorge! Right now, we are in middle of year-end so I can't really remove the attachment field and start something new....I have to find a solution to fix this for now

@isladogs, I have two computers....one has been updated and the other one is still using the old version. The updated one has version 2205 build 15225.20288 while the old one has version 1808 build 103086.20017. The old version works fine with no problem; only the updated one that keep crash whenever I tried to add, remove, or view attachments.

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Thank you @GPGeorge! Right now, we are in middle of year-end so I can't really remove the attachment field and start something new....I have to find a solution to fix this for now

@isladogs, I have two computers....one has been updated and the other one is still using the old version. The updated one has version 2205 build 15225.20288 while the old one has version 1808 build 103086.20017. The old version works fine with no problem; only the updated one that keep crash whenever I tried to add, remove, or view attachments.
In that case, the apparent workaround is to roll back the update, at least temporarily.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just tested this and can replicate the issue exactly as described by the OP in 365 v2205 Build 15225.20288
For info, the bug isn't present in v2205 Build 15225.20204
Suggest rolling back to that version: How to revert to an earlier version of Office (microsoft.com)

The bug has been reported to MS by George & confirmed by me

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
MS are not doing too well recently.
They have just moved the formular bar for Excel for Andoid from the top, where it has always been, (and still is in WIndows) down to the bottom of the screen. :(
Many people unhappy as there is no option to put it back where it was.

MS, If it ain't broke DON'T FIXIT :)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
For info, Daniel picked up the bug info from this thread and subsequent emails to MS reporting it.
Thanks to the OP for alerting us as the bug was completely new to me

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Microsoft indicates that this bug is now fixed.

This should be fixed now. Users will have to restart Access, but there will be no update to the build number.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Tested & can confirm all is now AOK .... a quick rollback by MS did the job!

gpds0901

Local time
Thank you everyone! I can confirm that the attachment issue has been fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom