Audit Trail with OldValue problem in Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

Emily

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:32
Hi,

I am very new to VB and I am using Access 2010. I've copied the code from this forum on AuditTrail. I followed all the steps, imported the tblAudit and the two modules. However when I run it, i keep on getting 3251-Operation not supported for this type of object. Somehow it doesn't seem to like Oldvalue, I was able to display the ccnt.value but not the ccnt.Oldvalue. I will get the error even on just displaying ccnt.oldvalue.
It seems to work ok in older version of Access but just not in 2010.
I tried it on a single form as well as continous form in 2010, but both doesn't work either.

Appreicate if anyone can help, many thanks in advance.

Emily

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Bob,
I will give that a try. Do I just declare the Dim rs as Recordset in the Form and set rs = Me.RecordsetClone in the OnCurrent event in the Form as well?

Then how do I get the oldvalue to the AuditTrail function to do the compare? Do I have to modify the AuditTrail function?

Emily

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Bob,

I added the Dim rs as recordset in the Form declare section and added
set rs = me.recordsetClone and rs.bookmark = me.bookmark on the form OnCurrent event.

On the form Before Update event, I tried to pass rs to the AuditTrail function by Call Audit_Trail(Me, "id", Id.Value, rs)

But I keep on getting object variable not set error 91

Then I force the
Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone in my form before update event
just before my call function statement and I added rs as recordset in AuditTrail function as the 4th argument.

Public Function Audit_Trail(MyForm As Form, UniqID_Field As String, UniqID As String, rs As Recordset)

Then I get a compile error : constant expression required.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong. I am using a continious form and its based on AutoLookup Query.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
The first thing I would think is to change

rs As Recordset

to

rs As DAO.Recordset

But I have to say that I am not sure about your stuff because I had to actually change the query to make it work. I didn't go to the lengths you are attempting to keep the query the same.

Emily

Registered User.
Local time
Hi I am getting the same error ! How did you change your query to work?
I did a Msgbox in the OnCurrent event, the rs value showed up ok. Just that in the before update, it didn't like passing the recordset to the function.
Do you think I can get around by using global variables, by setting rs values into the global variable and use the global variables to call the functions?

I am also willing to change my query if I can get the auditTrail working.

Many thanks.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I'm not sure at this point. And I'm not even sure which one it was. This happened at least 2 years ago for me.

Emily

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Bob,
Finally decided to go for a work around solution to change my query to based on one single table instead. Now the audit trail works fine.
Thank you so much for your help.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Glad you got a solution worked out. Sorry I wasn't more help. I couldn't remember where that particular query was (we have 5 large Access applications here at work which I maintain and there are a lot of possible places it could have been) but I had saved the link to the article which I had found which explained the problem. :)

Emily

Registered User.
Local time
Oh yes BOB!! YOU DID HELP ME A LOT!! I was running around and couldn't figure out what was the problem. Knowing the cause, is problem half solved. If it wasn't for you, I wounldn't be able to come up with a work around solution and I probably be still looking at my syntax. Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom